Buff Orpington Has Red Legs and Feet

My New Hampshire red has the same red streaks on legs, but she is also coughing. I am a bit freaked out. She is eating and drinking otherwise alert and oriented'

I am so glad I came across this post. I was just trying to find information on my Buff Orphington. I noticed her feet looking just like this today. I wasn't sure if something was wrong or not. They seem more pink/red than normal. It has been cold here in December in Illinois. I am worried because my black Australorp and my Rhode Island red don't have this.

Has anyone come to any conclusions about this? Is this be something I should be concerned about? Or is it normal?

My mottled orpington male, has more of bright pink/red . Only change is in weather it has been a tad colder past days- 40°f. Oklahoma weather. They have been in the rain for 2 days. Could not get them to go to coop except when it gets dark they head on in on their own. The rain seems to not bother them tho. I hate to lock them up cause coop is not to big, enough room to sleep/lay eggs and then they free range all day.

I have the same thing. BO X 2 and one is showing signs of being a roo and has pink legs, just like your pic.
They are about 18/19 weeks old not laying yet or crowing or trying to jump other hens. It has longer gangly legs that it has trouble balancing on. Could be a gay roo.....

It’s Oct 29, 2017. I know this is an old post but I thought I would mention that I just noticed this in three of my five buff Orphington’s today. There is a cold front coming in and none of them have layed an egg since August 1 when their sixth Chicken “friend and family member” died!!! Maybe it’s the cold, maybe it’s their hormones!!! There’s been a lot of pecking order changes going on since the death of their friend!

I just noticed this on my buff orpington as well. It has gotten a bit colder recently (but California cold, so like 50 degrees), and she is also going through a partial molt which could indicate hormones. Otherwise her behavior is normal.

I just noticed this on my buff orpington as well. It has gotten a bit colder recently (but California cold, so like 50 degrees), and she is also going through a partial molt which could indicate hormones. Otherwise her behavior is normal.
Just noticed this in my Buff and panicked but thankfully found this thread. She’s a broody and has been caring for the (adopted) chicks she hatched for almost 4 weeks and just began a molt last week. Yay! Seems like all hormones. Thank you all for posting this!

I see no evidence of scaly leg mites. That is normal pigmentation on the legs. I have a bird whose legs are also red like that. I have been watching the bird for months to establish that... nothing is wrong with it. All my other BOs' legs are pale, but one has the red coloration. Just a varying amount of pigment in the legs.

Good luck.
I have 3 BO, only 1 has that same color legs as your photo

I am new to backyard chickens but my 18 week olds birds are showing the same thing on their legs.
Some more than others. I’ve tried to keep an eye on it and they all are completely healthy and happy. So I agree with this being a normal thing for this breed.

Back
Top Bottom