*Buff Orpington Thread!*

Quick question. Three of my buffs are a yellowish color. With pinkish legs. The other is more of a blonde color, a tad bit taller and has greenish legs. Any ideas why. Thanks

I had this same thing happen with my first batch of Buffs that I got from My Pet Chicken. Four of them were the standard Buff color with pinkish legs and 1 was more blonde with a yellowish beak and yellowish legs and the other was very blonde with a greenish tint to her legs. If I am not mistaken MPC has chicks drop shipped from one of the larger hatcheries so I just chalked it up to getting a chick with some Buff Rock (yellow legged chicken) mixed in with the Buff Orp. I still have no idea what breed was mixed with the Buff Orps to create the green legged chick. I no longer have those two particular chickens as they were so terribly mean to the Buffs (who actually looked like Buffs) I rehomed them at 12 weeks so I have no idea what they looked like as mature hens.

I got these from a hatchery all at the same time. They were suppose to be all the same. I did pick the light one out because we was sure on the sex of them. Other than that, thats all we know. I guess we will see how it turns out. It is a little meaner than the others.

The babies are 5 weeks old now, and are little food vacuums hahaha. It's going to be difficult to choose a male keeper, I think.
<snipped>

Blue
enhance
I have a band of 11 or 12 week olds (not sure how old they were when I got as babies) and at least three of them have combs that look like this, while the rest tend to stay paler. They're bigger than this little guy though, and fully feathered. I've read around that BO's can be hard to tell sex on, is there any chance my pinker comb/wattle kids are still just hens? None of them have any bigger comb than this one of collie1470's, and are twice as big. Can I dare to hope? I don't have any close-up pics right now.

Last edited:
That's a relief!

So, the ones with pinker combs and wattles are just a little ahead of the others as far as development, you think? I got the first six and they seem to be in pairs almost, two biggest, two mediums, two smallest. Had a couple crossbeaks so the breeder gave me three more that were noticeably smaller than my bunch, but of a similar age range. I figure they're probably stair-stepped as far as ages go.

Back
Top Bottom