Buff silkie chicks raising??

suttonhollerchk

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 27, 2013
savannah TN
Any difference in raising silkie chicks compared to barred rocks?? We have 25 week old chicks have lost one so far just got weak and went down hill. Plenty of feed water in brooder temps been 100 since we got them with plenty of room to get away. They seen very comfortable other than having pasty butt. Where not feeding any medicated there giving mareks vaccine from cackle hatchery. Just curious if there's anything I need to do or look for in the silkie breed. We are using fine wood chips pine. I put DE in it for smell and change chips every other day. Change water every day and clean. Thanks

kansas bow hunter.
pickwick lake is home though.

ena2a3er.jpg

Pic of some of the buff silkies

kansas bow hunter.

Hello there! For pasty butt I put Apple Cider Vinegar in the water everyday (just a dash). It especially is nice for bantams who are a little weaker sometimes than standard poultry.

Other than that..it sounds like your doing great!

Thanks for reply that's great idea! I just read some people feed yogurt and scramble eggs have u heard of this??

kansas bow hunter.

Yes thats also a wonderful idea, but ACV has good stuff in it for guts (pasty butt comes from something awry going on to do with intestinal health), as does yoghurt!

Back
Top Bottom