Buffalo Gnats Killing Chickens?

Quote:
I have actually had worse luck with the younger ones being able to take it. Granted I didn't have anything under 3-4 weeks old outside, they stay in the brooder in the garage, but the majority of everything I lost was young. Only 2 older birds and they were both right at 1 year.

yesterday evening my 12 chickens were alive. this evening got home from work to find 11 dead. some were trying to bury their heads in corners of the coop.

I am so sorry.
hugs.gif

I am out daily spritzing my birds with vanilla mixed with water. I also hang dryer sheets on all the windows or wire, and I spray those down as well.

They are crazy here, too.

I've heard that "buggins" works well. It's a vanilla and mint mixture. I'm going to try infusing some of my mint in with the vanilla and see how that does. The vanilla alone has kept me from loosing any this year but they are still landing on them. I might hang some mint along the window screen too. Lord knows I have plenty!

We went to the strong stuff, we had 70 chickens now we are down to 14. And lost out pea hen. We were over it. We sprayed permethrin 10% 1 oz per gallon for the coop and yard. And 1/3 oz for the chickens themselves, plus the fan , and several tree vanilla car air fresheners for the coop itself.
We were over the loss and decided to use the pesticides we couldn't take losing anymore. :'(

They crawl up into the nostrils of the chickens and cause their nasal passages to swell and then they suffocate...it's very sad.

Back
Top Bottom