GNAT ATTACK MASSACRE!

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
Hi All :frow

We are having the worst biting gnats invasion we have every seen. They leave welts on my husband, it’s horrible.

I had 20 chicks in my outside brooder ranging from 1-3 weeks old. I went out on Thursday to greet them, with 14 chicks on their coop floor, dead. No blood, no feathers, just dead on the ground. We couldn’t figure it out - they weren’t dead under the warmer plate, it just blew our minds.

Later that day, a woman came to bring a parrot that she lost the night before for my husband to mount. Healthy bird that she had let stay outside during that one day, then the next evening, it was dead. She said it had been exposed to these biting gnats all that day it had been outside (she hadn’t obviously allowed that exposure knowingly). Then it made sense that our chicks had succumbed to them as well. I scooped up the survivors and put them in our shop brooder.

Then panic set in - what about my other flocks? My youngest flock is three months old. I’ve seen my flocks being harassed by these things, but to be honest, they weren’t biting me, so I just thought my husband was sensitive.

Now I am stressing about these bugs killing my youngest flock. Does anyone know of anything I can spray on them to keep them off my chickens? I use essential oils and know lavender and rosemary repel mosquitoes and flies (in theory), but it didn’t seem to keep them off the chickens.

Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.

Here's a thread from some other folks in Texas who had a problem last year. I think they're called Buffalo gnats, you might try searching this site for that key word and see what threads you can pull up.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/buffalo-gnats-help.1528408/
Thank you, I saw that after I posted. I don’t think mine are Buffalo gnats, I saw a picture of one, and these aren’t that big, but I am going for permethrin spray tomorrow. I have some dust - I wonder if I could add water to that in a spray bottle?

Thank you, I saw that after I posted. I don’t think mine are Buffalo gnats, I saw a picture of one, and these aren’t that big, but I am going for permethrin spray tomorrow. I have some dust - I wonder if I could add water to that in a spray bottle?
If you have permethrin poultry dust, some folks actually say that works better for lice and mites (don't know about gnats) because it sticks around on their body and stays on their skin better than the spray. I would put on a N95 dust mask and maybe some nitrile or latex gloves, and dust your chickens all over. If your chickens are oily, it will stick great for sure. Then take a good shower to get the dust off you. Taking them off the roost at night one by one using a red headlamp is a great way to dust them individually while they're calm.

I don't think the dust will disperse well in the water, it may run off your chicken without sticking, but I could be wrong and putting the dust in water might work fine.

If you have a picture of the gnat you are fighting, post it on here, and folks can help you ID it.

If you have permethrin poultry dust, some folks actually say that works better for lice and mites (don't know about gnats) because it sticks around on their body and stays on their skin better than the spray. I would put on a N95 dust mask and maybe some nitrile or latex gloves, and dust your chickens all over. If your chickens are oily, it will stick great for sure. Then take a good shower to get the dust off you. Taking them off the roost at night one by one using a red headlamp is a great way to dust them individually while they're calm.

I don't think the dust will disperse well in the water, it may run off your chicken without sticking, but I could be wrong and putting the dust in water might work fine.

If you have a picture of the gnat you are fighting, post it on here, and folks can help you ID it.
These things are small, but the spray will hopefully work. I think the dust would get “washed” off with their dust bathing. The difference with mites and lice is that they are attached to the skin, and these gnats are buzzing on and off. As soon as the chicken reaches to peck it off, it’s already flown off and another 5 are on.

I posted about this on my local fb ag site, and no one said anything about permethrin , so that hadn’t even occurred to me. I had no idea that they were potentially deadly to babies, no one locally had a clue about treatment. 😣

I'm sorry for your loss.

Yes, you'll probably want to take steps to put up screens, place traps and spray permethrin.

I remember @mixedUPturk losing birds, devasting. She wrote an article and also provides helpful links.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/buffalo-gnats-and-what-you-need-to-know.75016/

Chicken Chick also has an article
https://the-chicken-chick.com/protecting-chickens-from-killer-black-flies-buffalo-gnats/
Thank you 🙏

Although I’m fairly certain these aren’t the flies or buffalo gnats, they are most certainly the cause of my loss. I will still cover what I can as far as windows and the runs with screen and spray - the river here is overflowing, so I’m sure mosquitoes are going to be epic.

One of these gnats is buzzing around me nose as I type 😤

Back
Top Bottom