Buffs and Rhode Reds

Scooter1A

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
Hello, my question today is I want Buff Orphington's for brooder birds. Can I let my Rhode Island Red young rooster fertilize their eggs and hatch them out? How does that turn out?

You'll end up with mixed chicks. It would be interesting to see how their temperaments turn out. Housing adult Orpingtons and RIRs together is not a good idea because Orpingtons are too submissive, and RIRs are too dominant, so the RIRs often end up bullying the Orps. So it would be a fun experiment to see what the mixes end up like.

You'll end up with mixed chicks. It would be interesting to see how their temperaments turn out. Housing adult Orpingtons and RIRs together is not a good idea because Orpingtons are too submissive, and RIRs are too dominant, so the RIRs often end up bullying the Orps. So it would be a fun experiment to see what the mixes end up like.
Thank you. I'd keep the buff girls fairly separate, give them their own house so they can just sit on eggs if they want. So people cross their birds and hatch them out? I want to put them in the freezer. Thinking...put the RIR eggs in the buffs house and let the buffs hatch their eggs.

Thank you. I'd keep the buff girls fairly separate, give them their own house so they can just sit on eggs if they want. So people cross their birds and hatch them out? I want to put them in the freezer. Thinking...put the RIR eggs in the buffs house and let the buffs hatch their eggs.
People cross animals all the time, it's not any different with chickens. Like how you have lab + poodle = labradoodle. Except the chicken crosses don't have fancy names like that :lol: They'll just have mixed traits from both parents. Most chickens in the world are crosses. It takes extra effort to house different breeds separately and breed them separately. So most people have a mixed flock and even if their hens and rooster are all pure breeds, any chicks they produce will be mixed if the parents are of different breeds. So if you only hatch your own out of your flock, over time you'll end up with what's called "barnyard mix" chickens - meaning the breeds have mixed up and the resulting chickens aren't of any particular breed, just mutts.

People cross animals all the time, it's not any different with chickens. Like how you have lab + poodle = labradoodle. Except the chicken crosses don't have fancy names like that :lol: They'll just have mixed traits from both parents. Most chickens in the world are crosses. It takes extra effort to house different breeds separately and breed them separately. So most people have a mixed flock and even if their hens and rooster are all pure breeds, any chicks they produce will be mixed if the parents are of different breeds. So if you only hatch your own out of your flock, over time you'll end up with what's called "barnyard mix" chickens - meaning the breeds have mixed up and the resulting chickens aren't of any particular breed, just mutts.
Makes sense. Just now got 3 buff chicks so here we go. Just happened to be FarmnFleet chick day. Meant to be!

Back
Top Bottom