buggy feed

amenfarm

Songster
10 Years
May 10, 2011
Chattanooga, TN
My feed store found 4 25lb bags of scratch feed that bugs have drilled thru the bag and are inside with the feed. I was given them, and only took them because chickens eat bugs. is there any problem feeding this to my flock? it is stored away from the flock, away from the regular feed too. If it's BAD, trash runs tomorrow. If it's bad, can you tell me why? I want to let the manager know why at the hardware store so someone else isn't where I am now.

Weevils, found out that their nothing to worry over. These drilled right thru 2 layers of paper sack, they lower the nutrients in the scratch, but the are only meant as treats anyway.

Just because chickens eat bugs don't mean their food can have it too. But it is what type of bug as well..

Just think about it do you like opening up a box of cereal and still eat a bowl with some ants or weevils in it? But wait, we eat bugs too haha not trying to offend but if I were you I'd change feed stores and let him know to check other sacks of feed because I'm sure it ain't just chicken feed they're getting into.

The store was checking bags because of the weather here when they found them. They knew I had chickens, so offered them to me. The bags were sealed with a few drilled holes from the weevils, I got to see right where they were stacked-no mouse droppings. We poured the feed into another container to check mold, smell, etc., other than weevils it's fine.

Personally, I'd not touch it. Big concern to me would be the possibility of those bugs finding their way into my food pantry. Not to mention the length of time it would take me to go through 100# of scratch.

Back
Top Bottom