Build your own trasnport crates (anyone?)

UncleHoot

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
St. Johns, Michigan
I've been borrowing transport "cages" from a friend of mine, when I transport my chickens off to be processed. They're basically just stiff wire fencing that was shaped into a rectangular enclosure. But now I have more chickens than she has cages. Oops!

I'm looking into building some of my own. Does anyone have any plans, ideas, anything?

Normally, I take the chickens to the processor and leave them there overnight, so keep in mind that they can't be stuffed in there too heavily.

I bought ex-large dog crates off Craigslist for between $15 and $40 each, then put a piece of 1/8" underlayment plywood between the two pieces so I had a two story chicken transporter. Worked great.

darnit, i can't remember where i saw that article about building your own crates. it's made out of 1x2 and 2x2's. it's kinda like the plastic crates but they used wood. 2x2's were the frame and there were 1x2 slats across and under, with chicken wire. the top had two slats that went accross that held the square door.

i wish i could remember where i saw that article. it had a step by step with pictures.

Back
Top Bottom