Building a Better Coop - Twisted S Ranch

Two schools of thought in my mind.... stationary or mobile coop. Each has it's own perks and drawbacks. See my profile photo for my idea of an ideal stationary coop: 8x8x6 to the bottom of the rafters, interior laying/brooding boxes, and a gradually ascending perch system allowing the birds acess to four (of six) central rafters. Salvaged windows screened with hardware cloth, anr because I live in zone 3 where frostbite is a worry, pink foam insulation under the roof protected from picking by 1/4" plywood (luon). Floor is salvaged 2-by, built solid, on top of three treated 4x4's, and I utilized the deep-bedding method for insulation in winter. Coop sits atop seven cinder blocks (wish it was nine) which prevents critters underneath, as well as providing an outdoor shelter for the birds from rain and snow, and year-round access to soil. The exterior is locally milled siding boards, overlapped 3"... they taper from 3/4" down to 1/4".

That was then, when I lived in the woods and could get away with free ranging. Now, I live on a farm-corner lot, with pissy neighbors and lots of traffic. My coop is constructed from 1x2's with an attached run, with a pair of tractor supply wagon wheels on a 5/8's inch all-thread axle under the coop section. Allows for the pasture-fed, dark orange yolks we love, while roping the chickens into mowing the lawn. Drawback is I can only house maybe 8-12 chickens, where my stationary coop started with fifty birds.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

Wow that sounds really nice. I opted for more ventilation than insulation because of how rare it actually is to ever get very cold here. Hopefully those 4-5 nights a year it gets into the 30s they can huddle up close.

I also like the idea of a chicken tractor. I have been letting them free range from daylight till dark and haven't had any go missing yet so I am not sure if I need one.

Did some more 1x6 siding today and started running the wire around perimeter into ground. Got about halfway done and covered up, finish the rest tomorrow hopefully.

Last edited:

Framed in the space under the coop with more 1x6. It's basically a 3 sided wind block inside the run and below the coop. Mostly finished but there are still a few boards to measure and cut in.

Last edited:

This is how the wire looks going into the ground before it gets buried. I don't think it will last forever but it should keep critters out for the at least the next 5 yrs or so. I will sandwich another board over the wire on the outside to make it less accessible and more invisible.

Last edited:

I had to frame the door out again to cover the wire staples, so once again had to do door hardware all over. It is very stout and heavy, I may need to add a third hinge.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom