Building a Coop, would like opinions regarding open roof design?

presh22

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Hi All,

I am preparing to start building my coop this weekend and have a question about the roof. I need clarification regarding vents. I have heard from others and read on this forum it is vital for them to have proper ventilation. Good, but I have heard an equal amount of stories declaring drafts to be not good. I was considering building my coop with an open air roof (with hardware cloth), assuming this is adequate ventilation, but then this will inevitably introduce drafts into the coop. I live in the Pacific NorthWest if this is relevant. I will have a lean-to roof over the open air so rain doesn't get in. Any thoughts about feasibility or if I am on the correct path?

Thank you for your time,

I also live in the PNW. We are already rethinking our roof. We did a corrugated metal roof. Now we want to add some more support..cross ways. The wind hackles it quite a bit and we are worried about the weight of snow. I'm not sure I understand the design you are talking about.

Here is ours...

You can see where we only ran the 2x4's lengthwise...I think we need some going across so the panels can be screwed more securely. Both for wind and snow. We have the gap all the way around the top though..and it is excellent ventilation. Plus the windows can be opened.

Last edited:
I wpuld be worried about exposing them to the elements unless your lean to toof is incredii used soffet vent with a 6" overhang on my roof and seems to working quite well! Would ove to read other opinions though!bly low to the top of your open air roof...

Ventilation and drafts are not the same. If the wind will blow through the coop, that is a draft. If there is a means for the air to move through the coop, that is ventilation.

It can be difficult to keep those panels in place. It might be better in the long run to install decking and shingles.

Chris

I also live in the PNW. We are already rethinking our roof. We did a corrugated metal roof. Now we want to add some more support..cross ways. The wind hackles it quite a bit and we are worried about the weight of snow. I'm not sure I understand the design you are talking about.

Here is ours...

You can see where we only ran the 2x4's lengthwise...I think we need some going across so the panels can be screwed more securely. Both for wind and snow. We have the gap all the way around the top though..and it is excellent ventilation. Plus the windows can be opened.
Wow, this one is super nice, you did an excellent job!

This helps me visualize an open air design. You never sheathed the top then, right? I was considering just sheathing my roof and following the formula of 1 sf ft. per bird of ventilation, but its a 4'x4' box so I figured why not just let the whole roof be open. If I do sheath it, I hope its not too dark for them, is that ever an issue?

Wow, this one is super nice, you did an excellent job!

This helps me visualize an open air design. You never sheathed the top then, right? I was considering just sheathing my roof and following the formula of 1 sf ft. per bird of ventilation, but its a 4'x4' box so I figured why not just let the whole roof be open. If I do sheath it, I hope its not too dark for them, is that ever an issue?

There is a space between the roof and the walls all the way around...so there is plenty of ventilation. I also put two windows in the front though...so I can prop those open for more. It's nicely lit in the daytime because of the windows. I got them off Craigslist for $10.00 each..so it doesn't have to be expensive.
We did not put plywood down on the roof before the corrugated metal if that's what you mean. However, like I said, we have had a couple wind storms and we are thinking we need to put some cross boards in the roof.

Maybe you can see in this photo better what I mean about the roof......I guess that would be a 4" gap all the way around.

We were not done with it at this point..the metal actually overhangs the wood just a little.

When ever you install a corrugated roof you should put it on top of stringers run every 2' These can be firring strips. Your roof will be much better with them.

When ever you install a corrugated roof you should put it on top of stringers run every 2' These can be firring strips. Your roof will be much better with them.

Going the opposite way or the same direction as the 2 x 4's? Fir strips...as in like 1 x 2's? I am new to construction lol..."stringers" means nothing to me.
We thought we were doing it just like many of the pictures we saw in the coop section, but the wind storm we had made us realize we would have to do something more...and I am so very open to suggestions.

That metal roof will get hot in the summer! I would put some decking under it. I would add some hardware cloth around the soffits to keep critters out. Then can get through some amazingly small openings. But that will provide good ventilation for your coop. Nice looking coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom