Building a new coop!

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
My first coop was an 8x10? shed that we converted. We added windows and vents, roosts, electrical, etc and called it good.

Then we had this little claustrophobic 4x8 coop that was here when we bought the house. It was just too small to be functional. My big coop was housing up to 25 chickens at one time and we have 21 right now, plus 3 new babies from a broody.

Plus we have 20 chicks temporarily housed in the barn that are almost 5 weeks and need a new coop, and hatching this weekend we have 37 eggs I'm the incubator..so we definitely need more room asap!

In comes my husband and my Dad to the rescue. :)

Initially we thought we could build on to the back half of the small coop. Then we decided that was a bad idea and limited the expansion. So we tore the rest of the original down but kept the flooring.

Now we have the wall studs up and with good weather on Sunday I think we can get the rest done.

In the meantime the barn chicks are going to move to the kennel between the 2 coops just for a few days so they can acclimate with the older flock while still behind safe bars.

Back
Top Bottom