Building a Quail Hutch **UPDATE** Finished! Photo-Heavy

Looks great! If the weather holds out here. I'll be working on mine, but yours'll be nicer.
pop.gif

It looks very good, and any quail owner should be proud to have cages set up like that. I would like to offer some BTDT (been there done that) advice. Make sure you can access the entire cage through your doors. The quail you need to reach will always go to the farthest corner. I had to add doors at the ends of my cages after the fact and it was a real pain, but I finally realized my arms weren't going to get any longer.

Brad

edit: spelling

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, linebacker! I actually didn't think of this, but my brilliant fiance mentioned that all the quail were going to back into the corner when we go to grab them, so he made sure we could reach into every bit of the cage from the door.

I swear, we're really not handy. I did a bit of set construction back in high school, and I think that's about the extent of our combined handiness. We're the kind of people that pulled the dishwasher out from under the counter because it wasn't working...only to realize that it was unplugged underneath the sink.

I did a pretty basic design sketch beforehand, and we've been fumbling our way through it since. So, if you can hold a pencil, print out a protractor from the internet, and if your neighbor owns a circular saw...you TOO can build a quail hutch!
lol.png

We may work some more on it Friday...busy week this week.

We finished our quail hutch this weekend! Hurrah!

quailhutch9.jpg

quailhutch10.jpg

Putting some of the paneling on.

quailhutch11.jpg

quailhutch12.jpg

Inside one of the little shelters!

quailhutch13.jpg

Painting it...ran out of juice in the drill, so attached the rest of the paneling later.

quailhutch14.jpg

Putting on the roof! There were a bunch of extra shingles and roof-whatever-it-is stuff in our shed, so we used those. Free!

quailhutch15.jpg

Roof finished
smile.png

quailhutch16.jpg

Putting on the hardware cloth. I found the coated hardware cloth for the floors at Home Depot. Very nice, much softer than the regular stuff.

quailhutch17.jpg

Hardware cloth done!

quailhutch18.jpg

quailhutch19.jpg

Where it belongs, in our yard. Still the poop trays to do, but those won't take very long.

Eggs should be here tomorrow or the day after. Egg-citing! Ha ha ha...

To the original poster, would you like me to add your post link to my coturnix quail post link? People are always asking what sorts of houses to put their quail into i'd love to show them this one!
smile.png
It will be up in the sticky at the top of this pageif so in my "Coturnix education time" post
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom