Building a run - do i need to cement posts?

MyChicagoCoop

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2018
Chicago
I am looking to build a run to attach to my coop so my girls get a little more freedom during the day. I am thinking it would be about 4' wide and 10 to 12' long. I've looked at some plans online, and see that people are cementing the posts into the ground. I really don't want something that permanent in my backyard. Is it okay to build the run without cementing the posts? I plan on digging down and around the coop with a skirt of hardware cloth, to protect from predators. So, it would essentially be anchored by that. How have you all built your runs? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

My main run is large at 16x23 so has concrete.

My hoop run does not.

Your run at just 4' wide should not need the concrete. Your apron does not need buried by the way. You can lay the wire on top of the ground and secure with edging pins. The grass will grow up through it.

https://gvt.net/product/landscape-edging-pin

This is what I used. Home depot also carries them.

My main run is large at 16x23 so has concrete.

My hoop run does not.

Your run at just 4' wide should not need the concrete. Your apron does not need buried by the way. You can lay the wire on top of the ground and secure with edging pins. The grass will grow up through it.

https://gvt.net/product/landscape-edging-pin

This is what I used. Home depot also carries them.

Thank you for the tip about the apron!! So glad to not have to dig!

I like to make the footprint of the run with cross-ties or landscape timbers, and attach a 2x4 pressure treated bottom plate Directly to the timbers with long decking screws. From here I frame it just like I am building a small building. You can use regular framing lumber if you stain it with a good exterior stain/water sealer. I like a dried in run it cuts down on mess and odor. I only use screws so it can be easily disassembled. once framing is complete just wrap with chicken wire. By dried in, I mean with a roof. You probably knew that, but I felt the need to clarify.

DSC_0178.JPG

This coup has been in place several years, but maybe you can get an idea of what I was describing. On this one I dug a 4" trench and buried the timbers halfway. These were 8x8 treated. I shifted the bottom plate to one side and created a notch for the studs. This design is rock solid. At least 5 years, and not a wiggle.

Our 8x16 run wasn't anchored and blew over in a freak windstorm last month. Amazingly, no damage to chickens or run. We (ahem, my husband) pushed it upright and it was as good as new.

We anchored it ASAP with a shed anchor kit from Amazon (auger anchors and steel cable).

Attachments

• 20180302_143342ed.jpg
    20180302_143342ed.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20180303_131058ed.jpg
    20180303_131058ed.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
Post hole corners dug 2' deep without concrete correctly framed would support a full grown bear but would also be easy to modify or remove. I know for sure it supports a 175lb man and can withstand a tropical storm without budging. I would never use concrete.

I would not build a 4' wide run, not enough room for a chicken to get away from a higher up chicken. I'd go 8' wide as a minimum. To concrete or not to concrete is up to you either way works if you dig down deep enough. And either way is temporary or permanent as you see fit.

run-01.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom