Building Dilemma

BankFam

Chirping
Feb 4, 2023
Hedgesville WV
My husband has been working long and hard to make a very large, very sturdy coop for our chickens and it's almost finished aside from the nesting boxes and roosting bars. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the design is good...
Our plan is to have roll out nesting boxes that extend outside the coop. I want to do the deep litter method but the opening he cut for the nesting boxes is only about 2in from the floor of the coop. I thought maybe I could combat this by putting a panel along the opening of the nesting boxes to keep litter from getting in, but I still wouldn't be able to make the litter very deep. And I've seen online that the nesting boxes should be AT LEAST 18in off the ground.
Can anyone please give me ideas on how to save this coop? I'd also appreciate tips on where to put the roosting bars. I was thinking we would mount them width-wise across the coop, but I don't want them hopping up in the rafters and want to avoid having them in a draft. The panels you see on the walls in the pictures are windows that can be opened and the big hole is for the nesting boxes. (And yes we will cover all the gaps with hardware cloth.)

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_100203998_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230421_100203998_HDR.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20230421_100114217.jpg
    IMG_20230421_100114217.jpg
    552.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230421_100100502.jpg
    IMG_20230421_100100502.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230421_100051925.jpg
    IMG_20230421_100051925.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 22
My husband has been working long and hard to make a very large, very sturdy coop for our chickens and it's almost finished aside from the nesting boxes and roosting bars. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the design is good...
Our plan is to have roll out nesting boxes that extend outside the coop. I want to do the deep litter method but the opening he cut for the nesting boxes is only about 2in from the floor of the coop. I thought maybe I could combat this by putting a panel along the opening of the nesting boxes to keep litter from getting in, but I still wouldn't be able to make the litter very deep. And I've seen online that the nesting boxes should be AT LEAST 18in off the ground.
Can anyone please give me ideas on how to save this coop? I'd also appreciate tips on where to put the roosting bars. I was thinking we would mount them width-wise across the coop, but I don't want them hopping up in the rafters and want to avoid having them in a draft. The panels you see on the walls in the pictures are windows that can be opened and the big hole is for the nesting boxes. (And yes we will cover all the gaps with hardware cloth.)
My brother built my 2nd coop for me and disregarded some of my instructions. I had the chicken door on the floor. I solved this by building a covered, outdoor extension into the run, -sort of a chicken foyer. It has enough lip to keep the bedding in.

Yeah I'm not sure how that will work, without dropping the floor to extend the depth. You'd have to pop out the floor boards, move the joists & flooring down about 6 inches, and patch in the walls. As it stands right now, I'm not sure what you could use for litter that wouldn't get kicked out. Dropping trays under the roosting bars would definitely be a good idea.

As for roosting in the rafters, they're gonna do it anyway. My coop has rafters high enough for my 6' tall husband to walk around in comfortably, and we've got plenty of roosting bars the are about 3-4' high, and one of my Easter Eggers still likes to roost in the rafters every night. 🤣 I wouldn't worry about that so much. Judging by the look of your trees I'm assuming you're in a warmer climate than mine, so you should be OK.

Back
Top Bottom