building paradise for the birds

Pics
morning everyone.....great day it is...got about an inch of snow...not to bad....no frozen line....even better....and six baby chicks...i do like this hatcher....i think it also controls how much movement vertically they have focusing the strength to the feet...not sure if im saying that right but i will be able to tell if it made a difference when they get bigger.... here is some pics from this morning this little guy was the first thats what the tray look like when you pull them out there is alot more pipping so im hoping for the best....seems like if you keep them in there for a day to dry off and get their legs sturdy they are alot more active when you put them in the brooder...hatcher back up to 64 percent....only took about 20 minutes so im happy...and going to set 60 eggs
Awesome!!!

I am such a proud grandma! Keep up the good work. They are so cute. It started snowing early this morning. We're right at the cut off where we can get freezing rain mix. It looks like it could be doing that right now. Supposed to get 2 to 4 inches today.

Beautiful birds! Keep us posted on your progress.

WELCOME TO MY THREAD AND WELCOME TO BYC...HOPE YOU ARE ENJOYING MY THREAD...I HOPE IT WILL BE INSPIRATIONAL FOR MANY
welcome-byc.gif

so with all this good there was bad...looks like a coon chewed its way thru the wood to get one of my hens...and took out the insides of her and then left a pile of crap in the nest box....grrrrrrr
AHHHHH.....THIS MEANS WAR...THE TRAP IS ALREADY SET...I WILL CATCH THIS BUGGER....

Hope you get it soon. I lost 10 good hens this past spring to a family of coons. I didn't sleep that whole week. I feel your pain believe me
hugs.gif

The chicks are gorgeous! Congrats! And congrats to @birdmansmom ! Will she babysit for you? DH and I can't find a proper sitter for our flock and other critters. So, no vacations longer than day trips for us, but that's the breaks, right?
smile.png

Oh I'm so sorry! I am new to this but I've read how awful raccoons can be. My hubby just finished building our first coop and run for 3 hens and wrapped it with half inch hardware cloth. Now I'm concerned whether raccoons can chew their way into the coop which is not wrapped. Anyway just wanted to express my condolences.

Hope you get it soon. I lost 10 good hens this past spring to a family of coons. I didn't sleep that whole week. I feel your pain believe me
hugs.gif

The chicks are gorgeous! Congrats! And congrats to @birdmansmom ! Will she babysit for you? DH and I can't find a proper sitter for our flock and other critters. So, no vacations longer than day trips for us, but that's the breaks, right?
smile.png
When she is up here she loves to watch the birds...however im the caretaker...shes a great mom...thats for sure...love her much..
hugs.gif

she says kristopher you better not get anymore birds
old.gif
....and then i put 60 eggs into the incubator and order 50 quail....lol

Oh I'm so sorry! I am new to this but I've read how awful raccoons can be. My hubby just finished building our first coop and run for 3 hens and wrapped it with half inch hardware cloth. Now I'm concerned whether raccoons can chew their way into the coop which is not wrapped. Anyway just wanted to express my condolences.
you dont have to worry about the coons getting into the hardware cloth...anyplace else is fair game...i have dogs so i keeps most predators away...however the coop is like 100 ft back so the dogs must not have heard the commotion last night....they must have been sleeping very well...normally my male is up most of the night wandering inside and out...but since its the winter i have the doggie door blocked...so it was my fault....however it wont happen again...putting down big wood blocks in front of the doors...i wanna see them move them...if they can get in after that...then by all means they deserve a meal...dont think its gunna happen tho...im just glad it was an older hen and not one that i liked....

@Ann7667 x2 on the previous post from birdman. The reason they got into my coop is my own negligence. Our coop is a repurposed lean to building. It is not very secure. The raccoons climbed a tree that is right next to the lean to, then climbed in a hole in the roof. One of the metal roof panels had blown off & we hadn't had time to put it back. But, after they hit the 1st night, we put out night cameras and have a heart cages. Fact is, when they find a good dinner, they come back for more. It's that way with most predators.

well just placed the batch into the incubator....so this will get interesting...
here are some pics

still two empty racks to go....hmmmm....you thinking what im thinking....lol...more birds....soon the quail will be on one rack...so one rack left...ill save that one for the easter hatch...yepper...out to finish the one peafowl coop

That is so exciting. I can't have that many chickens in town - only 6. So I'm starting off with 3 Favetolle Pullets (once they are 8 weeks old). So I'll enjoy watching yours. On your website, will you be able to have a cam? That would really be fun for your followers!

Back
Top Bottom