building paradise for the birds

well morning everyone...been kindof in a bummer mood...hard to get motivated...but trying...got the gate fully up...just making some adjustments to it...adding the lock to it...got the garden all tilled up....planting some sweet corn right now and some onions...also planted a bunch of potatoes...in the mittleider method...using 75 percent saw dust and 25 percent sand...getting a big load of dairy doo....five yards delivered soon...today....picked up some feed....going thru 200 pounds in 3 days...so def needing to downsize...had someone looking at the red golden adults that i was going to get rid of and they never showed up...bummer on that....the peafowl are picking on them would like to get rid of them...one male and three females....we have gotten over 300 eggs from the pheasants so far and over 12 eggs from the peafowl..wowsers...should be having a quail bbq today...well see how that goes...the hoop coop bases are done and out front...setting the outer perimeter with string today to see how big they are going to be...the back yard is looking great....alot of cleanup from last season...well needed thats for sure...i put out the cemani/honas with the older honas...and they werent having that so i had to divide them...barred rocks are outside and loving it...hmmm...what else...and moved all the quail into their breeding pens....going to figure out how many males to females i do have...also did a check on the cemani/honas and they were all there so just didnt log one down...must have gotten to excited...lol...another batch of ornamentals hatched...red goldens, yellow goldens, and silver goldens...two of the pens have stopped laying now...not sure whats going on...bummer on that one...still hoping for some fertile eggs from peach goldens...maybe next year...the lady amherst still not fertile but laying a bunch of eggs thats for sure....well see you guys soon...have a great one

glad to hear from you birdman.... Now I need to look up the "Mittleider method...using 75 percent saw dust and 25 percent sand"

Found a synopsis.... http://growfood.com/ Awesome.... I have Decomposed granite... not soil and was looking at doing aquaponics... But I like this A LOT. Thanks for mentioning it

deb

Last edited:
well morning everyone...been kindof in a bummer mood...hard to get motivated...but trying...got the gate fully up...just making some adjustments to it...adding the lock to it...got the garden all tilled up....planting some sweet corn right now and some onions...also planted a bunch of potatoes...in the mittleider method...using 75 percent saw dust and 25 percent sand...getting a big load of dairy doo....five yards delivered soon...today....picked up some feed....going thru 200 pounds in 3 days...so def needing to downsize...had someone looking at the red golden adults that i was going to get rid of and they never showed up...bummer on that....the peafowl are picking on them would like to get rid of them...one male and three females....we have gotten over 300 eggs from the pheasants so far and over 12 eggs from the peafowl..wowsers...should be having a quail bbq today...well see how that goes...the hoop coop bases are done and out front...setting the outer perimeter with string today to see how big they are going to be...the back yard is looking great....alot of cleanup from last season...well needed thats for sure...i put out the cemani/honas with the older honas...and they werent having that so i had to divide them...barred rocks are outside and loving it...hmmm...what else...and moved all the quail into their breeding pens....going to figure out how many males to females i do have...also did a check on the cemani/honas and they were all there so just didnt log one down...must have gotten to excited...lol...another batch of ornamentals hatched...red goldens, yellow goldens, and silver goldens...two of the pens have stopped laying now...not sure whats going on...bummer on that one...still hoping for some fertile eggs from peach goldens...maybe next year...the lady amherst still not fertile but laying a bunch of eggs thats for sure....well see you guys soon...have a great one

Any update on them ringneck eggs?

glad to hear from you birdman.... Now I need to look up the "Mittleider method...using 75 percent saw dust and 25 percent sand"

Found a synopsis.... http://growfood.com/ Awesome.... I have Decomposed granite... not soil and was looking at doing aquaponics... But I like this A LOT. Thanks for mentioning it

deb
no problem...seen alot of people with success...just dont know if the planting spelling is right...lol

Any update on them ringneck eggs?
hatching as we speak

Quote:
spelling was correct.... I wound up on youtube and saw some pros and cons videos... I am liking Mittleider more and more... i can build raised beds very easily.... from a rolling walker. I had completely given up trying to garden because of my limitations... I simply cannot dig. Even if I could dig I would have to ammend the soil to the tune of thousands of dollars and pounds of organic material.

My ground does NOT hold water Lost 3000 gallons of water from my big tank through a pin hole in the hose and there was NO run off no puddle only a hole made by the force of the pin hole. Thats how good my perk is.... LOL.

So Now I start switching from Complete aquaponics to Aquaponics AND Mittleider method.

deb

You have some very pretty birds!
1f600.png

You have some very pretty birds!
1f600.png

if you are referring to me then thank you...we have close to 400 birds now...and its not slowing down....thats for sure...the entire cabinet incubator is full...as well as the coolerbator...now just to find room for 9 peacock eggs....100 quail eggs...and about 100 pheasant eggs...oh boy...tomorrow looking at buying another incubator....so i can fit them in there...but well see...what happens...got a bunch of stuff done in the garden...six rows of sweet corn...four rows of onions...swiss card, cilanto, and green onions...dressed the tops with wood shavings...like saw dust....and dairy doo...aged....wow that was a long day...also picked up another 30 birds as well...wow this is not slowing down...going for a thousand...can we hit it....we surely will find out...as i am scrambling to fit all the birds into the farm...only time will tell...have a buyer for alot of the birds...kindof went wholesale....starting to get people that are dog trainers for the quail...didnt have the quail bbq yet...ofcourse someone from the area...is blowing me off...so we will eat them ourselfs tomorrow...when a good nightime meal is of order....well no pics...been busy...but promise for some or a bunch of them tomorrow...so see you guys soon...best of luck to all the breeders and hope all hatching is going well....also dont assist in the hatch have found with the hundreds we have hatched out...that the bird will just have problems later...and might possibly die before hand...yes you can save it but it is way more healthy for the bird to do it naturally....so tired...just thought i would throw my input out there....as we are going to be getting a snake...yellow python...if im allowed.....lol...for the small unfortunate ones...that dont make it...seems when i have gotten into more breeders that they have alot of birds dying...late hatchers...and they dont care about it so they just throw them away...i dont like to waste really anything that i do...and it would be kindof cool to have a big yellow snake...hahaha....well we tried our first feather/hide preserve on one of the roosters...i shall post pics on it as well...as i am getting into the fly tieing stuff and some of the leftover birds will be going to this...if not sold...going for numbers so that i can have leverage when it comes to things like this....alot of people...here and not...have committed to purchasing birds from me and alot have done left me in the blank....well i dont have time for this...and im not a patient person by any means...so i have found ways to beat around the cold turkey phase...the question now....is ....whats next....lol...still have yet to dig the pond...but not so sure i want that now...because of all the hype of a.i...well...off i go...i super tired....got alot done...off to the house chores...getting ready to eat...huh...night

You are a busy busy boy! Sounds like you are making some progress though! Good, for you! We were pretty busy here this weekend as well. Got more birds out of the house! woot woot! But, still have about 4 more coops to build & my crops aren't going in quite as fast! LOL

well just thought i would chime in and say we had a good grill out...2 roosters, and 4 quail...here are some pics
some of the show quality barred rocks...you can see the ones with the bands are different lines...the lamonas are getting bigger...hoping for one male and one female

you can see the gate is up now...just finishing up to get the locking device on and the gate moved right and the secure line...will take a pic when done

barred rocks and lamonas
behind them are mixed flock

ayam cemani/ svart honas and the filler birds...any ideas on what they could be

just hatched a bunch of new babies...wow they just wont stop hatching...talk about bird math

lady amherst eggs...waiting for fertility to happen so well see....

my female on the porch laying with one of the chickens in the sun...thru the window

ringnecks...best bet is to keep only the ones that hatch out on date...all others cull...they just wont be right after hatch date...

2 month old jumbo brown

2 month old jumbo white

svart honas/ ayam cemani

svart honas from ewe crazy farm....i believe the key to keep these birds black is to keep them out of the sun....just my thoughts tho...i will see when they age what happens..but they are now on boss...and paprika...and they are eating it and loving it...got them to eat out of my hands today

more pics of the svart honas

show quality barred rocks and lamona

well...have a bunch more pics to take...so be back hopefully later today...washing another batch of eggs for the incubator and hatcher and once again...it is full...already got the money i paid for it on hatching thats for sure....so egggsited...hope all is well with everyone...thanks for watching...its so hot today...just taking a break for right now...sweating..so tired...not been getting to much sleep....my ptsd is coming and going...trying to stay focused...have a big landscaping job i just got myself into...so to add to my plate yet something else...lol...like i need that...and have back up tree work and a first mate job on a charter boat....man if i only had a twin.....lol

Back
Top Bottom