building paradise for the birds

This thread should be renamed, "BS about chickens in general". Not much in here about, "Building paradise for the birds".

Moving along now and looking for coop threads.
smile.png
You are more than welcome to start your own thread and name it whatever you please. No need to be snarky when it's clear you have not read this thread.

Ah, I think I may of thought if a story. Sorry there may be errors and it's quite long.

Well, in 2009, I got my first chickens. Three polish and 9 turkeys. My dog ended up killing several of the turkey chicks so I gave them back to the person I got them from.

The next time I considered chickens was in 2013. I had gotten 6 chicks from TSC. I decided o would raise them for a friend and give them back when they got big, just to see if I wanted to get my own chickens. I also got 3 EEs for that friend that I would get back.

I ended up only getting two of the three back. Though the one EE hen died on my birthday even though dis everything for her. She was badly taken care of, she had severe bumblefoot and a bad cut.

Well those 9 chickens, all but three died in the first month I gave them back to the lady. I was devastated, I didn't think the chicks I raised would be eaten by predators! In July, I ordered 5 chicks from MPC. I had no idea what pullet meant still, so I ended up with two roosters.

In the fall I ended up having to rehome the roosters. I couldn't have two roosters with 3 hens! And I had small bantams, my Sussex rooster would crush them! The EE bantam was taken by someone on BYC. He was also a pet. I drive 6 hours to bring him to his home. He died a week later. I dint regime the Sussex till New Years. A lady on BYC took him as well. I got 3 polish and a Sumatra hen to ad to my flock.

The BYCer said I could have some of my beloved Sussex roosters chicks. By the time she had some, she refused to give one hen to me. I even offered pay. I ended up convincing her to give me my rooster back. The day before I was going to get him, she killed him.

At this point, because I never researched, I had spent at least $2,000 on chicken coops and medical bills(my Sumatra cut herself bad, and I'm sure I could of treated it instead of spending $500 on it).

I was ready to give up on chickens, all of my pets just kept dying. But I realized there was good from them too. They amused me so much. The eggs where just a bonus.

I was very inspired when I met some of the chicken people on BYC. Birdman was defiantly a great inspiration. So dedicated to his birds, it was great to follow his thread.

Right now I have 16 chickens and would like to get quail(the quail mainly because of what I read of birdmans quail). I am so glad I kept chickens, even with all I have lost.
Cool story...and the heartbreak of it all. I feel for you! When your chickens die what are their symptoms? Maybe you don't have coccoidosis but mareks in your flock. It suppresses the immune system and can flare with stress or anything really...so does coccoidosis too.

I raise light sussex and they are just beautiful birds. i have 2 roosters, one orust rooster, 2 sussex hens, a sulmtaler hen and a white cream crested legbar in with them. They all live in harmony. Very peaceful birds. I did eat one sussex rooster and it was amazing. (I had 3 and they are large!)

Best of luck with your crew!

You are more than welcome to start your own thread and name it whatever you please. No need to be snarky when it's clear you have not read this thread.
Nothing "snarky" about my comments. I just pointed out this thread started out one way and quickly turned another direction. You are correct, I didn't read the whole thread but started at the beginning and skipped through several pages trying to find the point where the thread went away from what the title indicated.Unfortunately (for me), there was little in here about what I thought was habitat for chicken keeping.

This thread should be renamed, "BS about chickens in general". Not much in here about, "Building paradise for the birds".

Moving along now and looking for coop threads.
smile.png
buddy im gunna keep this real nice....and im sure you couldnt afford half of what i have done or kept for birds....and would love to hear anything about what you know about really anything...you seem as smart as my fence post. this forum is dedicated to my dead grandfather....i bet you feel real stupid now.. and it has plenty of diagrams and step by step instructions. and i know you didnt read anything on the forum other then the last couple of pages....because there is way more then just building paradise for the birds on here....as this is an inside look of the daily life of a chicken farmer....which it clearly says on the first page..you dont like it move on..

buddy im gunna keep this real nice....and im sure you couldnt afford half of what i have done or kept for birds....and would love to hear anything about what you know about really anything...you seem as smart as my fence post. this forum is dedicated to my dead grandfather....i bet you feel real stupid now.. and it has plenty of diagrams and step by step instructions. and i know you didnt read anything on the forum other then the last couple of pages....because there is way more then just building paradise for the birds on here....as this is an inside look of the daily life of a chicken farmer....which it clearly says on the first page..you dont like it move on..
Okay, enjoy your thread with the misleading title in the, "Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance" section.

Wow, you people are, "thin skinned" on this board.

Moving along now.

Everyone is more than welcome to share current or past projects. I'm in the middle of fencing in a pond I dug out and concreted but am at a standstill being as I lost a bit of two fingers the other day on my table saw. :( It seems to me there are plenty of projects on here and plenty of people that participate with knowledge of them or something similar. The question only need arise to facilitate an appropriate response.
Attimus

Cool story...and the heartbreak of it all. I feel for you!  When  your chickens die what are their symptoms? Maybe you don't have coccoidosis but mareks in your flock. It suppresses the immune system and can flare with stress or anything really...so does coccoidosis too.

I raise light sussex and they are just beautiful birds. i have 2 roosters, one orust rooster, 2 sussex hens, a sulmtaler hen and a white cream crested legbar in with them. They all live in harmony.  Very peaceful birds. I did eat one sussex rooster and it was amazing. (I had 3 and they are large!)

Best of luck with your crew!

Thank you. The hens I have lost on my property died a few months a part. The first was S'mores, my EE. I explained that in the post. Then Muffin Top the polish. I was on vacation and the neighbors said she died the night before I was going to return. Then Olive. She showed no symptoms of anything. She just dropped dead in the winter. Then the last one that died who was over 10 weeks was Dixon. It was when the weather was below 0. It was just so cold and I don't keep heat lamps because of fire hazard and the chickens may pick on each other. :(

Quick question.... I remember seeing a picture of a hoop coop either in this thread or attimus' thread... Can't seem to find it. Do you construct anything inside or is it used as a run? Have some ideas rolling in my head.
If you look on the right side of screen up near top, there should be a 'recent photos' display....
......click on 'see all' to see all the pics, easier to find things than scanning monster threads page by page.
Might not work on mobile app, but does on my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom