building paradise for the birds

Quick question.... I remember seeing a picture of a hoop coop either in this thread or attimus' thread... Can't seem to find it. Do you construct anything inside or is it used as a run? Have some ideas rolling in my head.

as for the hoop coops now that i have built several i would make them separately and then add a run on grass as well....on the back wall you could put up a nesting box for the birds and to hang the food is really easy just rope it down from the top and you can move it up or down when the birds grow....i would also use larger sand and not the very fine stuff...cause after a while the ground will become very hard and not easy to work with...just my thoughts ...also would add a board on the bottom of each side so that the tarp will cover just everything....its a bit short...and also would put a 2x4 in the middle and secure it so there is not any bending in the boards over time...other then this....its a solid design...hope this helps

Quick question.... I remember seeing a picture of a hoop coop either in this thread or attimus' thread... Can't seem to find it. Do you construct anything inside or is it used as a run? Have some ideas rolling in my head.

We both have hoop coops, his are bigger and more detailed than mine is. Also mines unfinished. Setting mine up for just roosting bar but you could feasably construct some form of small coop opposite from the door, maybe even just some suspended nesting boxes.
Attimus.

Last edited:
Thank you. The hens I have lost on my property died a few months a part. The first was S'mores, my EE. I explained that in the post. Then Muffin Top the polish. I was on vacation and the neighbors said she died the night before I was going to return. Then Olive. She showed no symptoms of anything. She just dropped dead in the winter. Then the last one that died who was over 10 weeks was Dixon. It was when the weather was below 0. It was just so cold and I don't keep heat lamps because of fire hazard and the chickens may pick on each other.
sad.png

I bought a kennel heating pad for a dog igloo last year for my coop. I placed it under the linoleum and then put straw on top. It is made to be waterproof. Worked like a charm for my small coop. But, many will say no heat is needed and I am thinking like a human...lol

Sorry about your loss. Hopefully, this winter will be more forgiving for you.

as for the hoop coops now that i have built several i would make them separately and then add a run on grass as well....on the back wall you could put up a nesting box for the birds and to hang the food is really easy just rope it down from the top and you can move it up or down when the birds grow....i would also use larger sand and not the very fine stuff...cause after a while the ground will become very hard and not easy to work with...just my thoughts ...also would add a board on the bottom of each side so that the tarp will cover just everything....its a bit short...and also would put a 2x4 in the middle and secure it so there is not any bending in the boards over time...other then this....its a solid design...hope this helps
Still jealous!

I bought  a kennel heating pad for a dog igloo last year for my coop. I placed it under the linoleum and then put straw on top. It is made to be waterproof. Worked like a charm for my small coop. But, many will say no heat is needed and I am thinking like a human...lol

Sorry about your loss. Hopefully, this winter will be more forgiving for you. 

Thank you. :)

I shared this pic on another thread, But I wanted you all to see my new brooder box. It's 41"long, 41"high and 31"wide. My friend got this for me even though I won't be using it for a LONG time due to MG in the flock. It's very cute and has an open bottom. I could put a couple of my smaller pullets in there.
big_smile.png

Have a good day!

Back
Top Bottom