building paradise for the birds

lol yep moms are a wonderful thing.....so ended up getting some alligator, shark, and frog legs to try and grill so will put some pics when i grill them tomorrow....still having fun...but march is the big month....hopefully all goes well...going to be incubating 12 black chicken eggs probably tomorrow...cleaned out the incubator yesterday....gotta get it plugged in for a day....well i shall try and get some pics....but all is good so far this week....just been a little bumpy.....see you guys around....i really hope i can share this year with you guys....
Good luck with your set! Do you still have your pheasants and quail? I am thinking of maybe doing some quail this spring...not sure yet. I fired up my incubator last week. No fibro's in there...they seemed to have taken then winter off. Seriously, have not seen an egg out of my hona's in about 3 months! Stinkers!

I love that your mom makes a point to be a part of things that are important to you. How was your grilled goods? I hope you get to keep on sharing and teaching us all we need to know to raise our birds well. Best of luck to you, birdman.
the shark was the best...its was juicy and great....just used simply garlic, salt and pepper....turned out wonderful....my best out of the three...the alligator was a little tougher....used the same ingredients was also great....the lady said that was the best out of the three....the frog legs...however was very juicy almost to juicy fishy for me....going to put some bbq on them and finish them off today....my list would be the shark as the best.....at 10.99 a pound then the alligator at 21.00 a pound....and then the frog legs....not sure how much they were....

I love shark. It's like eating steak but its fish. Lol. You should make some hotwings outta them frog legs that would be interesting.
Always enjoy our morning convos, let's me know your still putting up the good fight. I'm almost ready to start building that incubator, think theyll be more frequent. Feel like I've got all the pieces but I feel like I always find out what I'm missing when I need it. Lol.
How are those chicks looking, still can't believe your hen hatched them out in all that cold like that.
Keep it up
Attimus
chicks are doing great...have alot of feathering that is coming in...i personally think they are one female and three males....bummer ....but still got one female...going to be growing them out and making a bigger pack for the svart honas....ayam cemani, and the hmong chicken...and then free range a fibro mixed section....cant wait....i really hope i can see them as they grow.

Isn't that crazy about his AC chicks. I would love to go out to my coop & find a handful of AC chicks running around. Now mind you, it would be very amazing because I don't even have AC birds
lau.gif
Someday birdman I would love to get some AC hatching eggs from you. The nice thing is your close, there would be no shipping involved. Would love to see your operation there Chris
hugs.gif

we can work something out...i am someone that is not looking for the money for this breed....and someone that is about getting the nice pure breeds spread out thru the u.s.a.....i would love you to stop by and check out everything but its to complicated with birds and diseases and such that it prolly wont happen.....just being honest...but whatever your needs are we can make that happen...plus its to political to have anyone over right now...in this area....
Good luck with your set! Do you still have your pheasants and quail? I am thinking of maybe doing some quail this spring...not sure yet. I fired up my incubator last week. No fibro's in there...they seemed to have taken then winter off. Seriously, have not seen an egg out of my hona's in about 3 months! Stinkers!
i have most of my pheasants and im sure i can still get my quail...if not i have a great person out of california that will send eggs here no problem....and i had great hatch rate...as for the honas not laying i think its bc of the winter cold and the hours of light....put a light on 24 hours and im sure they will start laying...i miss our convos and would love to share what is going on with you....you gave me such good guidance and i thank you for that...it means alot....

Your breeding standards and coop building posts have inspired me so much these past couple years. Even though I don't have the same breeds as you, I am still learning a lot.

Pic time

This is a Crested Cream Legbar (roo) x Barred Rock (hen). He was an experiment from last spring. I will breed him next spring to some brown leghorns and some ccls, possibly barred rocks as well.

The rooster in this pic was born in July. He is 1/2 Speckled Sussex, 1/2 ???? :D. But he grew massive quick and will be dinner soon.

Last but not least.....the girls have resumed laying again! This is 3 days worth. Been getting about a dozen a day:D

im so happy i have inspired so many...i like to do things to the extremes...to bad i couldnt have kept going....better to be prepared then not i guess...still moving forward just at a much slower rate now...everyone on here has inspired me as well to push forward and do the best i can do...its great to have such great people backing you and by your side...im thankful for everyone.

im so happy i have inspired so many...i like to do things to the extremes...to bad i couldnt have kept going....better to be prepared then not i guess...still moving forward just at a much slower rate now...everyone on here has inspired me as well to push forward and do the best i can do...its great to have such great people backing you and by your side...im thankful for everyone.
You have inspired so many... but some of us would like to know how you do a smaller version of bird keeping.. I live in an 800 square foot rental. I have 9 birds total, though I hatch for others... I am just learning the basics of building and gardening and I am looking to buy land in the far away future. Keep going as long as you can. xoxoxoxoxo. You are doing good work.

You have inspired so many... but some of us would like to know how you do a smaller version of bird keeping.. I live in an 800 square foot rental. I have 9 birds total, though I hatch for others... I am just learning the basics of building and gardening and I am looking to buy land in the far away future. Keep going as long as you can. xoxoxoxoxo. You are doing good work.
FYI, Attimus was the one that pointed me to your thread.
thumbsup.gif

You gotta keep on keepin' on bro. It's gotta be hard with everything going on to stay bird focused but I'm glad you are, free ranging your fibros still gives me a kick. Are you planning on cross breeding them as well? You see I got the fence finished minus the gate. Ponds really coming together. You'll probably just rent a back hoe when you dig yours lol, go big right.
Catch up soon.
Attimus

doing a small scale would be very easy...its when you get into a thousand birds at your home that makes things start to get interesting....especially when it comes to hatching and the planning on like 10-20 brooders and then grow out pens....and then have the same with different breeds...i never keep the chickens in with any other bird other then chickens....last year we had over 250 chickens in on coop alone....even with sand it was a stinky mess....last year i learned how to preserve the feathers on the males...very easy process and hope i can get there one day...now that i have the experience its not that hard to keep that many birds...just gotta be well organized...and i so wasnt....i so winged this last year....and got a good taste of what it would be like if i went alot bigger....its not hard work...its just consistent.....couple hours a day.....all day every day....and the time spent with the birds was very stress releasing....and now that there is a huge gate and the end of the driveway it is so peaceful...no more drama from anyone....i just wish this year turns out good....keeping thy fingers crossed

You gotta keep on keepin' on bro. It's gotta be hard with everything going on to stay bird focused but I'm glad you are, free ranging your fibros still gives me a kick. Are you planning on cross breeding them as well? You see I got the fence finished minus the gate. Ponds really coming together. You'll probably just rent a back hoe when you dig yours lol, go big right.
Catch up soon.
Attimus
free ranging the fibros are something else...most people say that they are friendly and nice to each other....NOT....i had to separate a svart hona rooster because my other birds ganged up on it ...like five roosters to him and they were gunna kill it....i have separated the fibros into their kinds now....svart honas in one area, ayam cemani in another, and the hmong chicken in a different area....and the free rangers are going to be just a fibro project of all three birds mixed together.....im super excited....

anyways want to say thanks so much everyone this blog is so close to 61,000 views....i hope i can get things rolling again and make it better for the viewers....as its been a dull winter thats for sure....

see you guys in a bit.....birdman

Back
Top Bottom