Built Purina hen house!

I was looking at that plan. Still trying to decide if we should attempt to make one with our limited carpentry experience or if we should just buy one.

We just made this coop (also with limited experience and limited tools) and it was easy and fun. Just measure twice and cut once and you'll be fine.

It is very spacious inside. If you check out the website with the specs the way the roosts are set up and leave lots of space for many chickens to roost yet lots of floor space. There are no window in it yet, which I do plan to do before summer for extra air flow. But as Hondo58 said the ventilation is at the top of the roof, you can't see it, and there is a skylight which makes it quite bright in the coop, I was actually a bit concerned the chickens might not want to lay because it was quite bright but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Also, I do plan to build a run as well, but my chickens free range in my backyard all day and will continue to free range for the most part even after I have a run built. I let them out around 8am, and the don't go back into the coop except to lay until dusk, even the other day when it was pooring down rain they didn't go inside the coop, Plus, I was comparing the size of this to what we were looking at purchasing online that stated it would fit 8 chickens and this is much larger inside!

Just back from Lowe's with the material to build the Purina Coop. Hope to get started on it tomorrow, weather permitting. My RIRs are outgrowing the dog crate and my DH wants his room back!
So excited !

Got the home depot guy to do most of the plywood cuts. I am making the tapered cuts on nest box and side walls myself. Already spent about $375 on 2x4s screws, clear couragated roof covering and plywood. Probably nicer than those pre-fabs in that ball park. Still need to purchase latches, had left over hinges I saved from another job. Watching the trash for somebody tossing a window. I'm sure the birds will be happy. Thanks for The info. Are you dusting the birds with diatomaceous earth?

We started with the Purina coop plans... a few modifications later... we were done. Love Purina Coops!!
Easy plans, easy to build, awesome design - and affordable!! Perfect for a backyard or small hobby farm.

Back
Top Bottom