Bully chick, bad behavior already?!

SillyChicky

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 7, 2010
I have one Silver Wyandotte chick who is a complete *** hat! Since I got them a month ago this one has always been really confrontational with the others after I added 5 Columbians to the mix (all same age roughly). He'll flap around running at, 'spurring', face pecking and mounting anyone except the other Silver. You think even at this young age roosters could be showing such testosterone infused behavior (I'm holding onto the hope it's just a bossy female). ?

A lot of people seem to have trouble with this breed when from hatcheries. I did. One was so bad I processed her with the roosters and gave up the eggs.

You can try putting her by herself for a week then returning her, in the hope that this will put her at the bottom of the pecking order.

Well the SHE turned into a HE, and it's Ameraucana mixed (maybe with Wyandotte)... That explains the behavior, but the other two (Wyandotte) roos are sweet as pie.

He's a big handsome boy, MUCH larger than everybody else. He's quite protective of his girls which is one reason I'd like to keep him. He's also a good breeding prospect for the EE pullets that are coming soon.

He pecks at his girls faces/heads sometimes (argh), but other than that they seem to enjoy his company and gather around him often.

I'm getting rid of either all roos, or I'll just keep Jerkface if he doesn't grow up to be an ornary basterd lol.

Back
Top Bottom