Bullying… at my wits end!

dnsmith19

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2022
I know bullying is discussed a lot here and I’ve read through probably all of the threads, I have followed all of the advice and I’m still having a problem. Hoping someone wiser than me may have something new to offer. I have 5 hens that are just over a year old, they have been raised together since they were day old chicks. Three of the 5 are constantly picking on the other two to the point that they are pulling out feathers and drawing blood. This has been going on for several months. One hen had a quarter sized open pecking sore appear about 4 weeks ago. She was missing most of her rear end downy feathers as well. We separated the three bullies out for several days to give her a break and time to heal. As soon as i put the bullies back in the behavior resumed. I put pinless peepers on the three mean girls and it was totall bliss for two weeks. Everyone’s feathers have begun to regrow and there has been no blood drawn. Until today. I removed the pinless peepers and found that the nares were extremely enlarged and bleeding and their beaks are badly indented and bruised. There had been sign that their was any issues with the peepers. Everyone has been eating and drinking and getting along fine. So I was shocked to see what they looked like when the peepers came off and I now feel horrible about it! Needless to say I will not use the pinless peepers again after this. Becasue things have been so peaceful in the coop the last two weeks I hoped all would be okay however I observed 2 of the bully girls chasing and pecking at behinds from the window and when I got down to the coop to check sure enough blood has been drawn again. I am at my wits end. I don’t know what more I can do. We are only allowed 4 hens technically where I live so I am already breaking the rules with my 5. They are all laying daily and we have put a lot of time and effort into getting them to this point so rehoming would be devastating. Culling is not an option I am willing to entertain. There’s plenty of room. The coop is an 8x7.5 outdoor shed that houses roost and nesting boxes. There is an attached run that measures 8x8. Automated door opens at sun up and closes at sundown. There are places to escape to in the run with a perch with several rungs and a swing. Water bar and free feed food container are also in the run. They are let out to free range when weather permits and I can be out there to supervise. They probably get an hour or two a day most days. We live on about an acre with neighbors on either side so I cannot allow them to free range all day as it’s against local ordinance. I apply ventrycin and that purple dyed lotion which name escapes me right now when there are bleeding spots. I really want to figure this out. I just don’t know what else I can do. Keeping them separated forever is not feasible nor is having to doctor bleeding wounds constantly. Help!

I know bullying is discussed a lot here and I’ve read through probably all of the threads, I have followed all of the advice and I’m still having a problem. Hoping someone wiser than me may have something new to offer. I have 5 hens that are just over a year old, they have been raised together since they were day old chicks. Three of the 5 are constantly picking on the other two to the point that they are pulling out feathers and drawing blood. This has been going on for several months. One hen had a quarter sized open pecking sore appear about 4 weeks ago. She was missing most of her rear end downy feathers as well. We separated the three bullies out for several days to give her a break and time to heal. As soon as i put the bullies back in the behavior resumed. I put pinless peepers on the three mean girls and it was totall bliss for two weeks. Everyone’s feathers have begun to regrow and there has been no blood drawn. Until today. I removed the pinless peepers and found that the nares were extremely enlarged and bleeding and their beaks are badly indented and bruised. There had been sign that their was any issues with the peepers. Everyone has been eating and drinking and getting along fine. So I was shocked to see what they looked like when the peepers came off and I now feel horrible about it! Needless to say I will not use the pinless peepers again after this. Becasue things have been so peaceful in the coop the last two weeks I hoped all would be okay however I observed 2 of the bully girls chasing and pecking at behinds from the window and when I got down to the coop to check sure enough blood has been drawn again. I am at my wits end. I don’t know what more I can do. We are only allowed 4 hens technically where I live so I am already breaking the rules with my 5. They are all laying daily and we have put a lot of time and effort into getting them to this point so rehoming would be devastating. Culling is not an option I am willing to entertain. There’s plenty of room. The coop is an 8x7.5 outdoor shed that houses roost and nesting boxes. There is an attached run that measures 8x8. Automated door opens at sun up and closes at sundown. There are places to escape to in the run with a perch with several rungs and a swing. Water bar and free feed food container are also in the run. They are let out to free range when weather permits and I can be out there to supervise. They probably get an hour or two a day most days. We live on about an acre with neighbors on either side so I cannot allow them to free range all day as it’s against local ordinance. I apply ventrycin and that purple dyed lotion which name escapes me right now when there are bleeding spots. I really want to figure this out. I just don’t know what else I can do. Keeping them separated forever is not feasible nor is having to doctor bleeding wounds constantly. Help!
So sorry for your problem with these girls. Like you said you know, bullying can be one of those things that changes a flock.

I would say at this point that you only have two choices, and that’s going to be who to get rid of, bully or victim. I know it will be difficult; I had to get rid of my first ever hatched hen because she had become such a terror. Ultimately, it comes down to what is best for the flock.

Good luck to you and your girls 🤗

Seeing as you're not so keen on rehoming the mean girls, try a pool noodle and give those mean girls a firm-ish swat when you see them going after the others. This might let them know you are the head hen! Offer them extra treats when they are able to remain close, Without displaying any bad girl behaviours.

I also have 5 girls - 3 Pekin bantams / 2 younger Lavender Araucana. They sleep in seperate coops but hang out during the day together.

Seeing as you're not so keen on rehoming the mean girls, try a pool noodle and give those mean girls a firm-ish swat when you see them going after the others. This might let them know you are the head hen! Offer them extra treats when they are able to remain close, Without displaying any bad girl behaviours.

I also have 5 girls - 3 Pekin bantams / 2 younger Lavender Araucana. They sleep in seperate coops but hang out during the day together.

That sounds like an exhausting endeavor, and I’m not sure they really respond to the treat theory, but I know my girls sure do enjoy them 😂

That sounds like an exhausting endeavor, and I’m not sure they really respond to the treat theory, but I know my girls sure do enjoy them 😂
I put treat theory to practice when bantam alarmist Susie screeches for her beads of bread; I turn away from her and feed the others. As soon as she stopped her shrieking she would get a bread bead shower. Now she is capable of waiting for her 'turn' .. and now only makes sweet sounds at treat time lol :)

Back
Top Bottom