Bullying… at my wits end!

I'm wondering if all 5 of these birds are the same breed?
They are not and I am beginning to understand that that may be a part of the problem. Knowing I was only allowed limited chickens I was going for varying egg colorations when I selected them having not done much research before picking breeds. I am very new to chickens and was overzealous at the idea of finally getting some. It was discussed for a long time before we pulled the trigger. We have 2 red sex links, 1 Americana, 1 blue laced Wyandotte and 1 that was supposed to be a prarie bluebell egger but she definitely is not that, we think she may be a bielefelder but not sure. It’s this one and the Americana that are the victims of the bullying.

So sorry for your problem with these girls. Like you said you know, bullying can be one of those things that changes a flock.

I would say at this point that you only have two choices, and that’s going to be who to get rid of, bully or victim. I know it will be difficult; I had to get rid of my first ever hatched hen because she had become such a terror. Ultimately, it comes down to what is best for the flock.

Good luck to you and your girls 🤗
I hate this idea but I know you’re probably right. 😭 Thank you for your input.

They are not and I am beginning to understand that that may be a part of the problem. Knowing I was only allowed limited chickens I was going for varying egg colorations when I selected them having not done much research before picking breeds. I am very new to chickens and was overzealous at the idea of finally getting some. It was discussed for a long time before we pulled the trigger. We have 2 red sex links, 1 Americana, 1 blue laced Wyandotte and 1 that was supposed to be a prarie bluebell egger but she definitely is not that, we think she may be a bielefelder but not sure. It’s this one and the Americana that are the victims of the bullying.
I've had Easter Eggers (aka "Americanas") bully Easter Eggers. But I have noticed certain breeds tend to be more dominant, this includes Wyandottes and Red and Black Sex-links. Older birds also bully younger birds, but that's not your problem. Are you able to give them more space (maybe a poultry net yard)? More space is always better. I know it's not easy to rehome any pet.

Last edited:
In not suprised to find that both your sex links are bullies. These are red because most have Rhode Island Reds as fathers. The only viciously bully birds and feather pickers have ever had have been Rhode island reds. They are a problem. If the whole flock is the same breed, problems of this sort are less. But like you I like a variety of birds and eggs.
I had adopted 6 3 year old X production birds once and for a feather picker in the bargain. She was pretty easy to pick out right from the start and I put pinless peepers on her for 3 weeks. I had No injury to the bird like you encountered. After that she forgot all about it and became a good flock member.
20181124_175531.jpg

My birds free range though. Your problem may be lessened if you enlarge the daytime pen. A bored chicken confined will pick up bad habits like feather picking and egg eating.

The thing is, being raised together has almost no influence on behavior. The thing is, your flock is not at peace, and when mine is not at peace, I really do not enjoy them.

The other thing is, is measurements are guidelines, but they don't always work perfectly for a particular flock.

I too am on the side, that you need to sell some birds. I would let the victims go, because if you sell the two top birds, the third one might become the new wicked one.

You do say that you have roosts and swing in the run. But some mini walls, something birds can get behind and out of sight can also help.

Mrs K

I have read through this thread and have not seen roosters mentioned? Do these hens have a rooster? Or is it just the girls in the coop? Can you have roosters? Or is it against city ordinance? Tis the season for breeding and being sassy and mean.....maybe these girls need a male subject....to fulfill their needs?

Just wanted to provide an update… we are less than a week post removal of the pinless peepers from my mean girls. We had the one reoccurrence of pecking that drew blood on the first day of the removal and blessedly have had no other incidents. 🙌🏻 I have been down to the coop every afternoon after work and spent a couple of hours sitting and reading while the girls free range in the yard and they seem to be getting along well. In fact when I went to pick up one of the mean girls to check her healing from the peeper injury she sustained one of the “victims” actually came running and pecked at me to defend her. 😂 They have been rewarded with treats and praises for their good behavior. So maybe my cry for help was a little premature. Here’s hoping there’s continued peace in the flock. Thanks for all your replies! 🥰

So sorry for your problem with these girls. Like you said you know, bullying can be one of those things that changes a flock.

I would say at this point that you only have two choices, and that’s going to be who to get rid of, bully or victim. I know it will be difficult; I had to get rid of my first ever hatched hen because she had become such a terror. Ultimately, it comes down to what is best for the flock.

Good luck to you and your girls 🤗
That, I think, is the unfortunate truth. I had horrible bullying issues. They eventually settled into a place where I could keep both parties together, but my new birds never gained weight and they and didn't feel safe until I had to get rid of the old birds.

Back
Top Bottom