Bullying Advice Required!!!

Crofters Quail

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 28, 2015
Brisbane, Australia
I have a bullying problem with one of my jap quail set ups! It has 1 cock and 4 hens at 8 weeks old. I have only had these ones for about 3 days. The cock has a favourite hen who he chases no end while she runs and flushes to escape him. Now 2 of the other hens have stared pecking at her too. Sometimes she seems stressed and exhausted (panting). I tried her in my next set up. The cock there seemed a bit better although chasing her but another hen was pecking her so she is back in the original set up in the covered area up the back. I have put food and water in there for her but she is in the dark. Please advise, what I should do to solve the problem. The quail are in large set ups with plenty space. There is lots of fresh food and water, sand for bathing, veg. I can't think what else to do. Please help!

Try removing the roo and see if the other hens still peck her. If they don't, I'd leave them like that for a week, then add hiding places and distractions (treats, a dust bath and such) and try to add the roo again.
By removing the bullied hen, you only put her further down the pecking order and make her the new girl in class when you reintroduce her - you don't wan't that for a hen that's already being bullied.
If one of the other hens bully her once the roo is removed, remove her as well. If all the other hens bully her, you might need to keep them separated by one layer of wire for 1-2 weeks so they can see each other but not hurt her. Then hopefully you can get them to accept her when reintroducing her, and then add the roo later.

I have the same ratio, I have 1 roo to 4 hens, and a bully, but my issue is one of the hens, she and one other are fairly new I got them several weeks ago, they settled in but just yesterday I noticed that one is picking on the rooster, also as a side issue none of them are laying I could chalk it up to them simply being bothered too often though, I give them meal worms and they eat them from my hand and are eager to see me when I come out, so I assumed they would be comfortable, I worry I’m going to have to get a second coop I think or maybe a larger one? Maybe there cramped but they have more than enough space and hides, sand boxes and foux plants to climb and hide under. I’ve attached what the hutch looks like I wonder if it’s too small?? They don’t have any trouble moving around and I’ve seen birds in far smaller cages completely void of any enrichment and they lay everyday.

Attachments

• 647E32EE-0CE3-4B8F-A47F-4D9EC68612DA.jpeg
    647E32EE-0CE3-4B8F-A47F-4D9EC68612DA.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 3355B01C-BBE6-4E78-B903-D9AEE26E4EFD.jpeg
    3355B01C-BBE6-4E78-B903-D9AEE26E4EFD.jpeg
    410.4 KB · Views: 5
If it's an option, when you add a new bird to a covey, move the covey and the new bird to a new cage so that the covey doesn't act territorial. You can also add the new bird close to sundown so they settle in for the night.

I have a mean hen who was being aggressive to the other birds in her group, and then didn't stop when I moved her to a new group. Now she's in her own pen, and next cull she'll be put into THAT group.

Back
Top Bottom