Bumble foot, but oozy in chickens toe

1Crackedmama

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2021
Hi guys I was hoping to get some insight on a roo I have been battling bumble foot on. He's a fairly good size boy and has more than 1 spot, it was on both pads and all his toes now I've gotten 1 pad to look nearly healed but my problem is his toes. It's not the typical bumble foot that I see so much on these sights cuz he has gooey slimy white stuff in there. It started by just looking like he was getting callus bcuz he insists on jumping up n down even tho he's kinda heavy and he has a couple of toes that r pretty warm and swollen,I've been soaking,I've tried picking the bumble out, and am on the 2nd week of tricide neo soaks too but it just seems to be a really stubborn infection and I was hoping someone might have more info on this gooey type infection and how I can help him, he's getting very tired of me trying to pick the goo out of his toe and getting vet wrap "Nikes" put on all the time but he momma's sweetest boy and I want him better cuz I can tell that his feet hurt. TIA guys for anything I can do to help my boy

Hi guys I was hoping to get some insight on a roo I have been battling bumble foot on. He's a fairly good size boy and has more than 1 spot, it was on both pads and all his toes now I've gotten 1 pad to look nearly healed but my problem is his toes. It's not the typical bumble foot that I see so much on these sights cuz he has gooey slimy white stuff in there. It started by just looking like he was getting callus bcuz he insists on jumping up n down even tho he's kinda heavy and he has a couple of toes that r pretty warm and swollen,I've been soaking,I've tried picking the bumble out, and am on the 2nd week of tricide neo soaks too but it just seems to be a really stubborn infection and I was hoping someone might have more info on this gooey type infection and how I can help him, he's getting very tired of me trying to pick the goo out of his toe and getting vet wrap "Nikes" put on all the time but he momma's sweetest boy and I want him better cuz I can tell that his feet hurt. TIA guys for anything I can do to help my boy
Greetings 1Crackedmama,

Photos of the bumblefoot would be very helpful. Bumblefoot infections can involve not only bacteria, but also fungal infections. When I hear there is "white" stuff on a wound or skin, I think of yeast. If yeast is present on the wound, that will complicate the chicken's ability to heal. You will have to address the yeast. On top of that some bacteria do not respond well to certain antibiotics. When that happens you have to be ready to try another treatment strategy.

The Tricide Neo preparation contains the antibiotic Neomycin, with some other ingredients. It should have shown good results by now. This product is intended for use on pond fish but has been used for bumblefoot by other keepers. A warning on one aquatic website reads, "This is a powerful medication! The fish should NOT be dipped for more than five minutes, or gill damage can occur." One of the ingredients acts as an anticoagulant. This may account for the gill damage. A similar reaction may occur in chicken skin.

There are many great antibiotic and antiseptic treatments available for infections of all kinds. But, prolonged use of some ingredients, can affect the healing process by preventing new skin cell growth. Povidone iodine is a wonderful antiseptic that will kill many bacteria in deep tissue. However, it is not recommended to over use it. It too can prevent new skin cell growth. It may be time to switch the Tricide Neo for another treatment plan.

An alternative treatment plan:
The best dual treatment I have used for a combination bacteria and yeast infection of the skin or injury is Sebozole shampoo. This product has both Chlorhexidine and Miconazole Nitrate. Together these ingredients synergize into a power healing agent! I've used it for flystrike as well, and it performed wonderfully! It can be purchased online.

You can also do the following.
  • Fill a small tub or large bowl with a gallon of warm water, add a teaspoon of Dawn dish detergent.
  • Wash the feet, rinse well under a running tap.
  • Dry the feet thoroughly.
  • Apply a bit of Miconazole Nitrate cream, with some Colloidal Silver 20-30 ppm, mixed in.
  • Cut a small piece of non-stick gauze to the foot and toe pads.
  • Then, wrap with some self-stick gauze/vet wrap.
  • Leave on for 24 hours. Then, Remove the wrap and check the wound for any "white" substance.
  • Wash the feet again, this time with a saline solution.
  • If there is no "white", apply a triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin. Vetricyn hydrogel spray is another good med. Otherwise treat again with the Miconazole Nitrate cream and Colloidal Silver. You can switch to an antibacterial ointment by day three.
Tips:
-
You have to be careful not introduce other bacteria into the wound by picking at it with your finger nails.
-If the chicken's feet are painful, I will also place a little round piece of neoprene fabric on the bottom of the foot to cushion it before I use the vet wrap. Neoprene is the fabric used for wet suits, eye glass cases, beer can sleeve/cozy etc. It has a layer of rubber that cushions and protects the foot pad. Maybe you have something around the house made with neoprene that you can sacrifice?
-Later, you may want to consider buying some chicken shoes/booties for this rooster. I've had a couple roos and hens that had to wear shoes.
-Increase the rooster's protein intake while he is healing from the bumblefoot.
-A broad spectrum oral antibiotic may be needed if he doesn't not start to heal within the next 7 days.

These are my thoughts on your rooster's health issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God's blessing for a quick healing and long life for your roo! :)
colloidal silver 30ppm.jpg
miconazole-nitrate-2-cream.jpg
triple antibiotic ointment.jpeg
Vetericyn Hydrogel.jpg
Sebozole-Shampoo.jpg

I will try to get some help to take some pics soon, I have been putting a lil cushion on his poor feet with vet wrap to hold it I am using some shoe insoles that r kinda rubbery that I bought and cut pieces to go under his sores. The infection seems to be right at a joint in his toes and there is a circular sore on the bottom that usually by the second day is clogged by yellowish material that I clean out and try to clean whatever infection I can out, in the earlier part there was just a bit of cheesy like bits but even then it had this gooey slimy white stuff oozing out around it. I have seen a few threads mention an uncommon presentation of bumble foot being a stringy gooey white stuff but there wasn't much more about if u treat it differently, I've seen alot of ppl giving antibiotics but most mentioned injectable types and in California u can't get them without a vet and none in my area see chickens not that I could really afford it. Should I try some type of oral antibiotics? As the only possible way I can get the injectable type would take some time as I'd have to try to get it sent to a person in a different state and have them send it to me and I know that many r temperature sensitive. I feel so bad for my poor boy and know that he needs to get better, again I will try to get pics soon in hopes that someone can help me help him, thank u all!

So I have some pics that I will attach and hopefully that will help my poor guy, again any insight or similar experiences r appreciated!
The first 2 r after I clean the little hole out and u can see the goo that starts coming out the second 2 r after I unwrap n clean them up and the other is so u can see how his toe is swollen and seems a bit bent from it, poor guy is getting sore knees from trying to sleep/rest on them 😟.

Attachments

• IMG_20210708_021957238.jpg
    IMG_20210708_021957238.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20210708_021951314.jpg
    IMG_20210708_021951314.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210708_021951314.jpg
    IMG_20210708_021951314.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210708_021450147.jpg
    IMG_20210708_021450147.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210708_021439108.jpg
    IMG_20210708_021439108.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210708_015506622.jpg
    IMG_20210708_015506622.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 12
It looks like the treatments above include over the counter items. Have you tried anything different yet? I’d switch up your treatment plan to something accessible ASAP and maybe figure out how to get your hands on antibiotics after.

I will try to get some help to take some pics soon, I have been putting a lil cushion on his poor feet with vet wrap to hold it I am using some shoe insoles that r kinda rubbery that I bought and cut pieces to go under his sores. The infection seems to be right at a joint in his toes and there is a circular sore on the bottom that usually by the second day is clogged by yellowish material that I clean out and try to clean whatever infection I can out, in the earlier part there was just a bit of cheesy like bits but even then it had this gooey slimy white stuff oozing out around it. I have seen a few threads mention an uncommon presentation of bumble foot being a stringy gooey white stuff but there wasn't much more about if u treat it differently, I've seen alot of ppl giving antibiotics but most mentioned injectable types and in California u can't get them without a vet and none in my area see chickens not that I could really afford it. Should I try some type of oral antibiotics? As the only possible way I can get the injectable type would take some time as I'd have to try to get it sent to a person in a different state and have them send it to me and I know that many r temperature sensitive. I feel so bad for my poor boy and know that he needs to get better, again I will try to get pics soon in hopes that someone can help me help him, thank u all!

So I have some pics that I will attach and hopefully that will help my poor guy, again any insight or similar experiences r appreciated!
The first 2 r after I clean the little hole out and u can see the goo that starts coming out the second 2 r after I unwrap n clean them up and the other is so u can see how his toe is swollen and seems a bit bent from it, poor guy is getting sore knees from trying to sleep/rest on them 😟.
This is not the worst case of bumblefoot I have seen. If you didn't agree with the previous treatment plan here is another.

Soak the feet in Epsom Salts with cool water. Dry them thoroughly, apply some a topical antibiotic ointment (without pain reliever). Cover the sores with non-stick sterile gauze. Then, wrap with some Vet Wrap. This is a simple but effective treatment.

Part of the body's healing process is to excrete fluid and mucus at the injury site. This accounts for some of the oozing. Swelling in also fluid building in the surrounding tissue, due to inflammation. Inflammation will calm down once the wounds start to heal. A scab needs to form as the first step to healing. The scab will protect the wound while new skin cells start to grow (tissue granulation).

But if you keep removing the scab, new cells will be removed with the scab. If you keep the wound clean, dry it thoroughly, and apply a topical antibiotic to ward off any bacteria, then, cover the wound for added protection during healing, the sores should heal.

I believe the anticoagulant in the product you used initially, prevented a scab from forming, after you did the initial removal of infection (cheesy material). That is what an anticoagulant does. It stops blood from clotting, or coagulating. Now, you should let the scab form, so that healing can begin.

Change the dressing once a day and check the progress. Once healing begins, the skin around the sores will start to tighten, and the scab will start to get smaller. You should see new skin cells start to grow (tissue granulation) by the third day.

Injectable antibiotics are not necessary. But, you can use a broad spectrum oral antibiotic. This will prevent any infection from moving to the blood stream. Perhaps you have some left over antibiotic in your medicine cabinet, or maybe a someone you know can spare some. If you can't get an oral antibiotic, the rooster's own immune system should be able to heal the bumblefoot with your continued medical care.

Wrap the leg joint that is getting a pressure sore from sitting on it. Cut a piece of thick fabric, like felt, in a large tear drop shape. Use it to cushion the joint. Place it on the back of the leg and attach it below the joint with some vet wrap, that way the joint can still bend. The rounded end should stick up above the joint. When the rooster sits down the fabric will cushion the joint to prevent a pressure sore.

Here is my little Ameruacana rooster who had a similar problem. Not the best photo, but you can see the green neoprene fabric which cover the (ankle/heel) joint just below his feathers. Black and tan vet wrap holds the fabric in place.
Covey leg wrap 2.JPG

You can also set up a sling to put the rooster in for a couple of days, to keep him off his feet. That is another thing I have seen done for large heavy birds with severe bumblefoot. Or, you can crate him for a couple of days so he can rest his feet.

These are some more suggestions for you rooster's bumblefoot. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom