Jaymez

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Oregon
So yesterday I found my hen fluffy limping, I checked her foot and I wrapped it a bit. Today I gave her an Epson salt soak, and then I decided to give her a little bath too. Well I couldn't find a Bumble and so I'm looking for help with that buttt, when I was drying her I found Mites or lice I'm not sure. I haven't checked the rest of my flock yet but I assume they must have it too. If the pictures aren't clear enough they look almost like fleas except their white and pink/orangeish. I didn't see any on her legs or feet, but they where all over her vent area. If anyone can tell me what to do about both situations I would be very grateful. As well as any way to prevent these things.

So yesterday I found my hen fluffy limping, I checked her foot and I wrapped it a bit. Today I gave her an Epson salt soak, and then I decided to give her a little bath too. Well I couldn't find a Bumble and so I'm looking for help with that buttt, when I was drying her I found Mites or lice I'm not sure. I haven't checked the rest of my flock yet but I assume they must have it too. If the pictures aren't clear enough they look almost like fleas except their white and pink/orangeish. I didn't see any on her legs or feet, but they where all over her vent area. If anyone can tell me what to do about both situations I would be very grateful. As well as any way to prevent these things.
For some reason the photos didn't upload first time here they are.

Attachments

• 20211226_105018.jpg
    20211226_105018.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211226_104944.jpg
    20211226_104944.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211226_103049.jpg
    20211226_103049.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20211226_103010.jpg
    20211226_103010.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20211226_102843.jpg
    20211226_102843.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 4
It's hard to tell for sure, but I would treat her for ectoparasites in addition to continuing treatment for possible bumblefoot. I have had good success with topical ivermectin for lice/mites.

Last edited:
As mentioned in your other thread (from Yesterday), she has bumblefoot. Treatment is suggested there. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-limping.1505456/

Looks like she also has lice. TSC carries permethrin poultry dust and spray. Get some dust and dust all your birds, get the spray to treat your housing. Make sure you clean out nesting boxes and treat them too when you clean out your coop.
Repeat treatment in 7 day intervals.

Back
Top Bottom