Bumble foot post surgery concerns

cickssix

Hatching
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Three days post op and I am concerned that my leghorn is not healing correctly. We change the bandage everyday and rinse the wound. We apply a heavy amount of triple antibiotic each time. The area is not scabbing over yet. I think the ointment may be keeping the area too moist, but I am afraid not to keep applying it. Also, she seems to have a yellow discharge coming from the wound (puss-like). I am afraid she might have developed a secondary infection. HELP!!!'

I cured my case of bumble foot by daily antispetic wash or salt wash which is good for drying up the scab i also squeezed out the puss while the foot was soaked and treated with tea tree oil or spray and then dressed to stop any dirt geting in but I did remove the dressing during roosting time she is now completely healed but it took a few months to heal completely but she only had dressing on to stop dirt geting in I left it undressed whenever possible

I have heard that a little discharge is okay, although an excessive amount of it could mean a secondary infection.
I would suggest not to 'rinse' the wound as so, because you could make the healing scab soggy again. When I change the dressings on my bumblefoot hens, I get a paper towel, dipped in 'ready to use' betadine, and gently wipe the top of the scab, before reapplying to ointment. I do this once a day, as to not disrupt the healing process too much. If you really believe there is a secondary infection, it is recommended you see a vet.
Good luck :)

I have heard that a little discharge is okay, although an excessive amount of it could mean a secondary infection.
I would suggest not to 'rinse' the wound as so, because you could make the healing scab soggy again. When I change the dressings on my bumblefoot hens, I get a paper towel, dipped in 'ready to use' betadine, and gently wipe the top of the scab, before reapplying to ointment. I do this once a day, as to not disrupt the healing process too much. If you really believe there is a secondary infection, it is recommended you see a vet.
Good luck
smile.png

A little discharge of what? Once the infection is removed and the hole packed with an antibiotic ointment and wrapped, there isnt any discharge. Another infection could occur if the staph infection wasnt properly removed the first time; technically not a secondary infection and requires resoaking in warm epsom salt water to help draw out the infection, then manipulating and squeezing the heck out of the footpad to force out the infection. A secondary infection would only occur if the bird lost the wrapping or picked off the wrapping, and while scratching dirt or walking on soil with an open wound, picked up ecoli bacteria through the wound. That's one reason why I use duct tape to wrap the foot.

I do see your point :)
I have just read on a few blogs that a little puss (discharge) is okay, although a lot could mean a secondary infection.

This is a very late update but we did end up losing this hen. We can't be sure it was the infection but most likely was. This hen was very tough. At the end she didn't even limp or give any indication of pain. We were quite surprised when she faded so quickly. A very sad situation but we are glad that we at least tried to help her. The incision never healed complete but it did seem to be getting better.

Back
Top Bottom