Bumble foot

amillecay

Songster
8 Years
Dec 29, 2011
I have a chicken that seems to have recently gotten bumble foot :( Is there anyway to get around a surgery? I have never had this happen and I really don't want to do a surgery.. but will if I have to, I know it can be a very bad thing in chickens but if it's like a splinter then why can't I just soak it a whole bunch and just take the splinter out without having to deal with a surgery?

Good luck!
I have 4 chickens with it right now, most in both feet. I had one successful removal of the plug this week, but the rest I wrapped with gauze/Vetwrap after 10 min Epsom Salt soak, exploration of the black spot with a razor blade, spraying with Vetericyn and a slathering of vaseline to soften the black spot. Going in again tomorrow ... one foot at a time. My brother, a vet, told me that I really have to debride the infection and remove all that infected tissue with tweezers, or it will never heal.

Plus, clearly there's an issue with their feet getting injured, so I really have to figure out the cause. Bacteria and staph is everywhere so not sure what I can do about that!

One responder on the forum says that bumble foot is uncommon, but there are so many posts about it, I'm finding it hard to believe.

Allison

Good luck!
I have 4 chickens with it right now, most in both feet. I had one successful removal of the plug this week, but the rest I wrapped with gauze/Vetwrap after 10 min Epsom Salt soak, exploration of the black spot with a razor blade, spraying with Vetericyn and a slathering of vaseline to soften the black spot. Going in again tomorrow ... one foot at a time. My brother, a vet, told me that I really have to debride the infection and remove all that infected tissue with tweezers, or it will never heal.

Plus, clearly there's an issue with their feet getting injured, so I really have to figure out the cause. Bacteria and staph is everywhere so not sure what I can do about that!

One responder on the forum says that bumble foot is uncommon, but there are so many posts about it, I'm finding it hard to believe.

Allison
It's not uncommon. Lower roosts in coops and sand them down to remove burrs and splinters, a few swipes with sandpaper will do the trick. Eliminate high places in your yard they can jump down from and rake up pine cones and gumballs from sweetgum trees if you have them.

Thanks I am going to do the surgery in a few wish me luck guys!
How did it go?

I just spent 1.5 hours on one of mine. Unfortunately, she's a bleeder, so I only removed the four black scabs but never found the plug.

Rechecks and more surgery for the rest of the chickens tomorrow.

Well i think there might be some more left in there we talked to a friend of ours who is a vet and she told us a bit about what to do now that it seems there is still more to do, she lives like an hour or more away from us but you know what I love my chickens, I am just gonna try and take her out there so Ava (the vet) can treat her as I don't feel confident I could do that again.

Back
Top Bottom