Bumble foot?????

This one has bumble foot..the big lump is bumble foot..can occur not only on the pad, but also on the toes.
LL

Last edited:
Hi Folks!
This thread has been very helpful. I'm afraid we may have found an early case of bumble foot. It's been terribly wet where we live and we moved our chicken tractor out of standing water over a week ago but with all the rain we are getting our entire yard is damp daily.
When I checked my chicks last night I found Delilah with a hard lump on one toe with a black scab. After everything I've read I'm really worried this is an early sign of bumble foot. What do you all think and can soaking it help?

Slow, I would just watch that one, could just be a sore from an accident. Most of the bumble foot .. at least that I've seen, are on the bottom of the foot, or on the bottom of toes. It's been a couple of days since you posted, is it better, or worse?

Thank you Cyntia, we give her foot baths in warm water with Epsom salt every other day, daily if we can manage it. Then clean it with veterycin, iodine and wrap the toe with antibiotic ointment. She is good about not messing with it once it's wrapped and I think she is enjoying her peepycheep pedicures.
The lump no longer has the scab and is hard as a rock. The iodine has made the area dark brown so it's hard to see what's going on now. :he We will keep up the soaking routine and watch it closely. I'm praying it does not get any worse. :barnie

I have been reading a lot on this thread about bumble foot. My chicken is only 9 months only. I'm kind of confused and scared. Yesterday she was walking around just fine. Last night we went out to close the girls house door and say good night and none of them were in their house. We then discovered that the other would not go in because the one would not go in. We then saw her limping and brought her in the house to check her out. I think she has what everyone here has been talking about.
sad.png
. We soaked her foot last night with epsom salt. it was so hard i thought maybe wood got in her foot. i squeezed her foot a little and a little bit of blood came out. We soaked it again and then let her sleep. Today I have been reading this thread and I honestly dont know what to do. I dont know if I can cut her foot open (hoping hubby can do it ) I would like to know if this is what she has. I will, somehow, do what it takes to help her.

I have been reading a lot on this thread about bumble foot. My chicken is only 9 months only. I'm kind of confused and scared. Yesterday she was walking around just fine. Last night we went out to close the girls house door and say good night and none of them were in their house. We then discovered that the other would not go in because the one would not go in. We then saw her limping and brought her in the house to check her out. I think she has what everyone here has been talking about.
sad.png
. We soaked her foot last night with epsom salt. it was so hard i thought maybe wood got in her foot. i squeezed her foot a little and a little bit of blood came out. We soaked it again and then let her sleep. Today I have been reading this thread and I honestly dont know what to do. I dont know if I can cut her foot open (hoping hubby can do it ) I would like to know if this is what she has. I will, somehow, do what it takes to help her.
It's easy to take care of if you don't have a queasy tummy.
wink.png
Going to find a video that will help you through it. It really needs to be taken care of, that looks pretty sore all right! Be back.

The chicken really doesn't act up like it hurts when the head is covered. Hardly ever flinches. You put the chicken down once done, and it goes on about it's business like nothing happened.

Thank you for the video.. I have to say...OMG...i'm going to cry. I'm so scared. Even though they dont cry...i know this is going to be so painful. I watched the video and it scared me. It looked like the cuts were really deep. I don't want her in pain, but I also don't want to cut too deep and cause damage. How do you know? I guess you can tell...I'm still a new chicken mom. We have only had our girls since December. Even though I got my chickens for eggs (we have far too many - all 4 lay almost every day...i get at least 3 a day) I'm a novice - and my chickens are my pets - I hope watching the video many many times will toughen me up. any added info to help me through this is very appreciated....yes...i'm a baby - not ashamed to admit it. but i LOVE my babies and want them all health and happy.
Thank you again - I really so appreciate it!!!!

I was also scared half to death to do this my first time. Really scared. But, I did it with the help of DH holding her for me while I cut. She didn't even flinch, only when I pulled her leg over to the bucket too hard, then she pulled back. I really don't understand why they don't act like it hurts. You would think if they don't jerk their foot away, it doesn't hurt. I know I would be pulling away even if my head was covered. So...not sure, but I like to think they don't feel the pain. Yes, you have to go a bit deep. You can tell when it comes out .. it will look like a whole piece. Maybe you will just get a bit like the gal does on the video at first, but you will be able to tell when you get the whole thing. And yes, do watch it a few times first. There are also other video's on it on youtube. Good luck, let us know how it...ummm..worked out!

Back
Top Bottom