Bumble foot?????

Both of my Hens, Brahmas have the little round scabs. I just saw it. I washed their feet put some alcohol on it and put Neosporin on them. Normally I would keep them in an area for a couple days but it's so hot, I don't want to keep them locked up. So, I will do this daily until I can see if they need to be removed. Neither one of them is showing any signs of being uncomfortable, so it looks like I caught it early. I had this long ago on an older Hen, Madonna, and when I was able to pull the scab and cut it off at the cord attaching it to the foot. I didn't know at the time what it was or that she had a problem til I saw her limping. I thought she had stepped on something. Thankfully, she healed up beautifully, with the same care tactic. So, they should be fine.

I can't seem to get the scab off -- how did you do it?
Well, I wrapped her in a towel, layed her on her side and got the area cleaned and then kind of worked it loose and then there was a string like attached cord and I finally cut it with cleaned fine scissors and I put Neosporin on it for a couple days to be sure it didn't get infected. I kept her out of the dirt those days. It will come off in time. I'm waiting on my other two and just putting the Neosporin on the scab to be sure it is healing. I haven't tried to remove their scabs yet, it's affixed and just doesn't seem ready to come off. I don't want to cause a worse problem. It does seem less red around the scab, so I feel this works for now putting the Neosporin on. They are out in the yard, and doing well. Just keep an eye on it.

Well, I wrapped her in a towel, layed her on her side and got the area cleaned and then kind of worked it loose and then there was a string like attached cord and I finally cut it with cleaned fine scissors and I put Neosporin on it for a couple days to be sure it didn't get infected. I kept her out of the dirt those days. It will come off in time. I'm waiting on my other two and just putting the Neosporin on the scab to be sure it is healing. I haven't tried to remove their scabs yet, it's affixed and just doesn't seem ready to come off. I don't want to cause a worse problem. It does seem less red around the scab, so I feel this works for now putting the Neosporin on. They are out in the yard, and doing well. Just keep an eye on it.
Still working on LaLa feet. Today, I soaked with water and tried scraping some, one bleeding so use the stop bleed steptic powder, then Neosporin. I put a gauze on the bottome of both feet and wrapped with medical paper tape. She's had it on about 2 hrs, I suspect it will all be off by morning. I'll just do it all over tomorrow. They aren't bad, just don't want an infection.

I just rescued a hen who has no toes on one foot, and 2 on the other. No swelling, but has some hard callouses? Or bumble foot? I'm going to soak her feet tonight, to have a better look. My question is: can bumble foot left untreated cause toes to fall off? She's a lovely girl, but must be hand fed and watered.

I just rescued a hen who has no toes on one foot, and 2 on the other. No swelling, but has some hard callouses? Or bumble foot? I'm going to soak her feet tonight, to have a better look. My question is: can bumble foot left untreated cause toes to fall off? She's a lovely girl, but must be hand fed and watered.
OMG, sounds horrible. Poor thing. I can't imagine, wish I knew the answer to that one.

Well here's an update: my kids and I soaked her feet. Scrubbed off scabs. Applied antibiotics and wrapped the stump. We also made her a prosthetic foot. She is walking! Not a lot, but walking!!! Can't wait to see what the next few days/weeks bring .

Well here's an update: my kids and I soaked her feet. Scrubbed off scabs. Applied antibiotics and wrapped the stump. We also made her a prosthetic foot. She is walking! Not a lot, but walking!!! Can't wait to see what the next few days/weeks bring .

good job, Mamas.. sounds like recovery is near!

Still working on LaLa feet. Today, I soaked with water and tried scraping some, one bleeding so use the stop bleed steptic powder, then Neosporin. I put a gauze on the bottome of both feet and wrapped with medical paper tape. She's had it on about 2 hrs, I suspect it will all be off by morning. I'll just do it all over tomorrow. They aren't bad, just don't want an infection.
LaLa and ChaCha feet both look great...just a tiny little scab, no worries...it will take care of itself at this point.

I have been reading the posts on this. I have 2 SilverLaced Wyndotts and they both have a scab on each foot. Only one girl has a swollen foot. I'm afraid to try what has been suggested but will give it a try tomorrow. Is it odd that both of them have the scab on both feet? Should I only treat the one that is swollen? Thanks for any advice/help :0)

Back
Top Bottom