Bumble foot?????

Yes, I have been wearing gloves while messing with her foot. I just went outside to check on her and the flock and was throwing bread crumbs to them and she was out there spunky as ever. She is still limping, but more from the gauze and vetrap. So you say to change her bandage again today? If I soaked her epsom salts would that be okay as well? The stuff that came out was like chunky cheese curds...and kind of had a funky smell to it....the look of relief from her was all I needed to know that I did the right thing....
You might want to let it heal for the rest of the day before messing with it again, if it is sore. Tomorrow would be a good time to soak in epsom salts, pack with neosporin and rewrap. If you see any pus coming to the surface tomorrow, you may need to drain it one more time. If the scab looks blood red, then you can leave the scab be. Keep it bandaged and check it everyday for a week ro so till you know it is healing.

Last edited:
I soaked it again tonight since it rained and I thought she may have gotten it wet being outside. We are so so so thankful for the rain...anyway, Hopper was a trooper...I let her soak and only blood came out so I repacked with neosporin and covered it with vet wrap...she is walking so funny on it, but I made sure she could get on the roost, which she did. I will let it go until tomorrow night and soak again....thanks for all of the info, it was very helpful!

When ever a bird limps after wrapping, it is best to check the feet for heat. If the feet are cold, they have been wrapped too tightly and they will limp. Of course the surgery itself can cause them to limp as well.

But it sounds like you did a good job!

I have been changing Hopper's bandage nightly and soaking her in epsom salts and then using neosporin and rebandaging her. Should I start doing it every other night or still do it nightly? I want her to start healing, I don't want to interfere in mother nature doing her job. Thanks for any and all info...
wee.gif

If all you are doing is soaking, applying ointment and wrapping, you will not interfere with the healing. You need to check this foot daily for at least 2 full weeks to make sure the infection is not coming back. Don't mess with the scab unless it looks all pusy. You don't have to do the soaks if you are too busy each day. I rarely soak a foot unless it stays infected. You can also soak in Betadine, an iodine solution you can get at any pharmacy section. If the wound looks good at one week, I would stop with the soaking and let the wound start to dry out. The daily applying of neosporin will keep the pad moist enough. After about 3 weeks, don't use any ointments on the scab. You want the entire thing to start to dry out. Puncture wounds to the feet, in the this case big surgery, you want them to dry out to heal. I then like to wipe the scab with an alcohol pad to keep it disinfected and then rewrap. The alcohol also dries out the wound as scab as well.

suspect one or our rhode island girls may have bumble foot. noticed in the last couple of days she will not put weight on foot and holds under her when she stands. is very skiddish and not sure I'll be able to catch her to give a closer look. how do you suggest holding her to check. doesn't appear to be swollen or discolored from what I can see.

one our rhode island reds has something very similar...no obvious scabs or swollen area on the left foot or leg..she does not fuss when I examine or press all over leg..
foot pad is soft, no different from othe foot.. I'm puzzled....any suggestions

It there is no swelling at the foot joint or pad, redness or heat to either of these areas, she may have pulled a muscle or tendon higher up the leg. If you think this may be the issue, you should probably keep her confined to a small cage so she has limited movement for a week so it can heal.

Back
Top Bottom