Bumblefoot, fracture, or just a wound?

AppleyardMarans

Hatching
Oct 31, 2015
I have a miniature silver appleyard duck that has just developed a foot injury. I think it is probably not bumblefoot, possibly a fracture, and maybe just a wound, but would be grateful if more experienced duck keepers could take a look at the photo and video and tell me what you think. I have her confined indoors for now and can check with my vet on Monday. She can put some weight on it but doesn't want to, she holds it up and hops. Thanks very much.

0.jpg

I have a miniature silver appleyard duck that has just developed a foot injury. I think it is probably not bumblefoot, possibly a fracture, and maybe just a wound, but would be grateful if more experienced duck keepers could take a look at the photo and video and tell me what you think. I have her confined indoors for now and can check with my vet on Monday. She can put some weight on it but doesn't want to, she holds it up and hops. Thanks very much.

0.jpg

Looks like she may have gotten stepped on do you have large farm animals? Could be a fracture if possible a vet would be wise. Let her rest inside and if you can warm water soaks with Epsom salt may help with swelling I like to use a small gallon bucket put the warm water and Epsom salt 1/2 to 1 cup ES to the gal of warm water then put the duck both feet and legs into the bucket hold to keep her from trying to jump out, you can soak as often as you want. Hopefully with rest and TLC she should heal fine unless xrays show alot of damage hopefully not. Ducks are amazing how well they can heal if given the chance..FYI don't let her drink the ES water it is also a laxative.

Welcome to BYC

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments and the welcome! I think she probably wasn't stepped on as although I have sheep they are not anywhere near where the ducks are. If it's an injury (rather than bumblefoot) the likeliest thing I can think of is that she knocked it or caught it when she was trying to fly over fencing. She was out in the fenced veg garden yesterday with the other ducks, and they can fly but are not super coordinated about it.

Thank you for the helpful advice and the welcome. My sheep aren't anywhere near the ducks so if it's an injury then what I suspect is that she might have banged it or caught it on the fence when trying to fly over. She was out in the fenced veg garden with the other ducks yesterday and they can fly but are not very coordinated at it.

Last edited:
Thank you for the helpful advice and the welcome. My sheep aren't anywhere near the ducks so if it's an injury then what I suspect is that she might have banged it or caught it on the fence when trying to fly over. She was out in the fenced veg garden with the other ducks yesterday and they can fly but are not very coordinated at it.
I bet that is what happened then, maybe not a break then just a bad bruising any way ES for swelling and rest hopefully will help her recover. Might think of clipping one wing if you want to keep them from flying over. I have to do that with my Muscovy's.

Thank you for asking -- I think she has improved. Her foot doesn't look much different to me, but she is putting weight on it, in fact she stood on it to scratch her head with the other foot, then switched and scratched the other side of her head with the injured foot. After two days in the kitchen "infirmary" she was definitely bored and wanted to be back with the other ducks, so I brought her back out this morning and will see how she is this evening. Fairly confident now it is just a wound, I can't imagine it would have been comfortable to scratch with if it were a fracture!

Thank you for asking -- I think she has improved. Her foot doesn't look much different to me, but she is putting weight on it, in fact she stood on it to scratch her head with the other foot, then switched and scratched the other side of her head with the injured foot. After two days in the kitchen "infirmary" she was definitely bored and wanted to be back with the other ducks, so I brought her back out this morning and will see how she is this evening. Fairly confident now it is just a wound, I can't imagine it would have been comfortable to scratch with if it were a fracture!
Probably not a fracture then, just watch if it isn't closed up if your having wet muddy weather like us you sure don't want nastiness getting in there.

Thanks for updating..

Back
Top Bottom