How is this healing? Post bumblefoot scab

Maudtheduck

Hatching
Apr 1, 2024
Hello everyone.

I have a lovely duck named Maud. She’s a couple years old, and is a pekin. When we got her as a ducking, it was a bit of a rescue adoption. She had been attacked by something and additionally it appeared she had niacin deficiency, which we treated her for. However, due to this, she has a bit of a walking disability, where one leg is a bit shorter. Because of that, she puts a ton of her weight onto that leg and as a result, we struggle with fighting bumblefoot from occurring on the heel of her foot like a pressure sore.

Recently she got bumblefoot and after trying to remove it naturally for a couple months, we surgically removed it last week (exactly 7 days ago).

Since then, I’ve been making her special shoes to alleviate the pressure on her heel and keep it clean while it heals. I make her a new shoe daily. I’ve been cleaning and treating the would daily with vetericyn spray and SSD cream (silver colloidal cream). I initially was also washing her foot in a soap-water bath the first few days just to clean it before putting vetericyn, ssd and the new shoe on, but I’ve since stopped that.

It has now been 7 days, and I have a picture of the scab forming on the bottom of her foot. I’d appreciate any input you have on how you think it looks like it is healing.

Thank you! Please wish her well.

This is the photo of her foot as of today (7 days post removal).
IMG_1812.jpeg

I can post the photo of what it looked like after we removed it last week. While it’s not actively bleeding in the photo it is an open wound though so I didn’t want to post it and have the post taken down or flagged or anything. Let me know if that would be helpful though.

Back
Top Bottom