Bumblefoot hell

AthenasOwl

Songster
5 Years
May 6, 2014
Olympia, Washington
I am writing as I am out of ideas on what to do with her. It started out bumble foot on July 24th when I did the surgery. She went broody the next day and I didn't think anything about it. Tried bringing her and her eggs in, but she got agitated, so I put her back where she was brooding. I did the changes and it wasn't healing like the others. Long story short, she had an allergic reaction to the stickless bandage, which made more wounds..to the point that there were blisters started...I thought it was the infection, and then noticed it spreading. I have lost track on what I have tried to do...it seems about everything. Right now she has a black spot on 2 of her toes...and smell to them. She is now inside, but I know her 2 toes are dying. The pad of her foot is white. I have started to put on Colloidal Silver on her foot and have her on a 7 day of tylan 50. I think the silver has started to help save her leg, but I don't know WHAT to do with her toes. I am sick to my stomach and angry at myself that I should have done more. I don't want her to be in pain, but I don't want to cull her either as she was our first hen to lay on eggs and be successful at being a momma. What the hell do I do?

I am putting on pictures that I took on Sat. The blackness is on the first and second toe on the bottom. We really don't have funds to take her to the vet as we have our other house on the market.

I'm sorry. I hope others can help. The only advice I can offer is that Vetericyn Wound Spray can help with these sorts of things, and if you need to bandage the foot, use Vetrap. I don't have experience with bumblefoot and wish I could help more. Don't beat yourself up over it, you're doing the best you can. If her toes do die, chickens can live full, happy lives missing a few toes. Good luck, and I hope others can help you!

Back
Top Bottom