Bumblefoot on hock? What to do

LikeTurkeys

Crowing
5 Years
Jul 25, 2018
Southern California
I noticed yesterday that one of my cream Legbar cockerels has a large, swollen area on his hock. It looks like it might have been from a small injury because there is a scab on the top. It doesn't seem to be impending his movement, but I'm sure it will soon if not dealt with.

What can I do to remove it without causing more infection? Not sure if this could properly be called "bumble foot" as it's not a typical area for it to develop.

Help is appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3362.JPG
    IMG_3362.JPG
    387.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3363.JPG
    IMG_3363.JPG
    438.7 KB · Views: 15
I noticed yesterday that one of my cream Legbar cockerels has a large, swollen area on his hock. It looks like it might have been from a small injury because there is a scab on the top. It doesn't seem to be impending his movement, but I'm sure it will soon if not dealt with.

What can I do to remove it without causing more infection? Not sure if this could properly be called "bumble foot" as it's not a typical area for it to develop.

Help is appreciated! Thanks!
Soak the chicken's leg in warm water mixed with epsom salt.

OK, so I was only able to get to it today. We wrapped the chicken up, disenfected the leg and I tried to lance it but only blood came out. The lump is larger and squishy and warm. What do I do?! Photos attached. I'm worried I made it worse. We're still holding him and welcome immediate help.

Attachments

• IMG_3686.JPG
    IMG_3686.JPG
    337.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3687.JPG
    IMG_3687.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 15
It appears to be an abrasion callousing up. Now that it's been opened up, you need to treat it as a fresh wound. Soak in warm Epsom salts each day for a few days, and dress with antibacterial ointment. Wrap with non-stick gauze pad with Vetrap over it to secure it from dirt.

This could be injury from a faulty perch. Watch how he roosts and if the hock is suffering a pressure wound from perching incorrectly. Then the perch would need to be remedied.

It appears to be an abrasion callousing up. Now that it's been opened up, you need to treat it as a fresh wound. Soak in warm Epsom salts each day for a few days, and dress with antibacterial ointment. Wrap with non-stick gauze pad with Vetrap over it to secure it from dirt.

This could be injury from a faulty perch. Watch how he roosts and if the hock is suffering a pressure wound from perching incorrectly. Then the perch would need to be remedied.
So it's been 4 days. I didn't have Epsom salts, but I cleaned it every day with warm salt water, sprayed with Veterycin and packed with Neosporin. Today I took off the gauze wrapping and saw that it was scabbed over and no longer bled. Unfortunately, the hock does not seem to be in any better condition. It is very swollen and warm, but incredibly he's still putting weight on it and it doesn't seem to be bothering him very much.

I haven't been able to see how he roosts because I separated him so that the others wouldn't be tempted to pick at his wrap. I'm thinking about putting him on a broad spectrum oral antibiotic - I have amoxicillin and cephalexin on hand. What do you think? Here are some new photos from today to show just how bad the swelling has gotten. You can see that it's not just the pink part, the whole hock is massively swollen.

BTW: I did consider that it might be swelling from something like MS (which I don't have a history of in my flock), but considering that it's only on one leg, seems to be caused by injury, and none of my other ~60 chickens have it, I'm guessing it's unlikely.

Also have a video that I can upload to show how he walks. Appreciate feedback!

Attachments

• IMG_3839.JPG
    IMG_3839.JPG
    362.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3841.JPG
    IMG_3841.JPG
    372.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3846.JPG
    IMG_3846.JPG
    383.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3847.JPG
    IMG_3847.JPG