Bumblefoot Question

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
Hi all, I have a Jersey Giant that I noticed was limping last night, and I caught her and saw that she most likely has bumblefoot. I'll attach a picture.

Today, I soaked her foot in Epsom salt for 20 minutes and attempted to get the scab off with Tweezers, but I was unsuccessful after about 20 minutes, so she's all bandaged up with drawing salve, and I will try again tomorrow. I did get a tiny portion of the scab off, and it looked like just fresh skin underneath — no kernal or stringy stuff — but I could be wrong since it was just a small portion. Just wondering if anyone has ever had that happen or if maybe it's not bumblefoot? Her foot is not overly warm like I thought it would be, and she's eating, drinking, etc. like usual. Is there anything else I should do? I have some leftover Baytril from an issue with a duck foot from a few months ago, but I'd rather not give it to her if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Here's a picture of her foot before doing anything to it.

1658964101574.png

Did you dig into/squeeze her foot pad? The scab may come off, but the kernel can be underlying and deeper.
I prodded it with my fingers and don't really feel anything hard in there. It's just a big mush lump, so maybe it's just really small?

I prodded it with my fingers and don't really feel anything hard in there. It's just a big mush lump, so maybe it's just really small?
Possibly. Last summer I had to do numerous bumblefoot surgeries of varying degrees. I would leave the bandage on and observe how she walks after a week or so, and after you remove the bandage. If she doesn't limp around any, you're golden.

Possibly. Last summer I had to do numerous bumblefoot surgeries of varying degrees. I would leave the bandage on and observe how she walks after a week or so, and after you remove the bandage. If she doesn't limp around any, you're golden.
I can do that. I don't feel quite as bad letting it go longer since it doesn't seem as bad as I thought, but I also hate for her to be in pain. So, you wouldn't try the removal again tomorrow? She was actually limping about a month ago, but she quit and just started back yesterday. But she'd just gotten in a little fight with another hen (my rooster had just died, and they were all pretty rowdy after that), so I thought maybe she just sprained something. I'm thinking she actually cut it then. Thanks for your help!

I can do that. I don't feel quite as bad letting it go longer since it doesn't seem as bad as I thought, but I also hate for her to be in pain. So, you wouldn't try the removal again tomorrow? She was actually limping about a month ago, but she quit and just started back yesterday. But she'd just gotten in a little fight with another hen (my rooster had just died, and they were all pretty rowdy after that), so I thought maybe she just sprained something. I'm thinking she actually cut it then. Thanks for your help!
You're welcome. If this is your first time treating this, it is recommended that you dig/pick all yellowish mushy material out of it, flush with hydrogen peroxide, pack with Neosporin (without pain killer) apply non stick gauze and wrap. Recheck foot in a couple days. Repeat if necessary. Prevent bird from walking in dirty, muddy, wet places while healing. Let me look for the link.

You're welcome. If this is your first time treating this, it is recommended that you dig/pick all yellowish mushy material out of it, flush with hydrogen peroxide, pack with Neosporin (without pain killer) apply non stick gauze and wrap. Recheck foot in a couple days. Repeat if necessary. Prevent bird from walking in dirty, muddy, wet places while healing. Let me look for the link.
Yep, in 7 years this is my first time, and she's a big ornery girl too! What tool do you recommend for getting the scab off/kernel out? I used regular old tweezers, but my dad who was holding her for me suggested using like fingernail scissors?

Back
Top Bottom