Bumblefoot surgery - with pics and "how to"

Pics

ruth

Life is a Journey
12 Years
Jul 8, 2007
Woodville, MS
Unfortunately, I have had to do my share of bumblefoot surgeries. I'm often replying on others' threads that seek help and advice so yesterday while performing yet another "procedure" I thought I would document and post pics and step-by-step info:

Here's what the foot looked like from the top - notice the swelling:

bumble1.jpg

From the bottom:

bumble2.jpg

After cleaning the foot - notice the trademark, ever present, black scab:

bumble4.jpg

To operate on the foot, lay the hen on its side with its head and body covered and they don't normally fuss or move around:

bumble3.jpg

I begin by preparing a sink full of very warm, almost hot, very salty water. Epsom salts or plain old kitchen salt will work. I soak the foot for a few moments. I have a sink where I can keep her on her side and still put her foot in the water. If you don't have that, then just pick her up and hold her with her foot in the water. Soak for about five minutes while rubbing the pad.

Then, using a sharp single-edge razor blade (or scalpel), cut away the black scab and pull it out. While cutting the scab off, cut down at a slight angle into the pad and go all the way around the outside edge of the black scab. There may be a plug of gunk attached to it. Pull the scab and any attached gunk out. Once the scab is removed, proceed with soaking again.

Here's a pic while pulling back the scab - notice stuff attached to it:

bumble5.jpg

Here's the hole left behind - notice stuff down in the hole:

bumble6.jpg

Soak some more.

Pulling out a plug:

bumble7.jpg

Keep soaking in the salt water and mashing/squeezing the foot while soaking.

More "gunk" squeezes out of the hole. But please note, it is not liquid, it is a cheesy, rubbery substance and most of it will need to be dug out. Tweezers and sharp manicure scissors work well.

bumble8.jpg

I often work on a foot for close to an hour. Soaking for a few minutes, while squeezing, then digging around some more, then repeat. Don't worry about any bleeding - they won't bleed to death. I have them near the edge of the sink so I can keep their foot under running warm water so that I can see what I'm doing.

When finished, you'll have a clean, deep hole. Pack the hole with Neosporin - you can also mix a little Terramycin with the Neosporin.

Then, cut thin strips of vetwrap and wrap the foot going over the pad and between the toes. Unfortunately, company arrived and I didn't get to finish taking pics of the foot wrapped. But when I finish wrapping, I go around the ankle/leg. Don't wrap too tightly.

I leave the wrap on for a few days, then take it off and check. Normally, they are healed but if not, I wrap once more for another few days.

I've never given antibiotics and I've never had a reoccurence in the same bird.

Hope this helps.

8/30/09 Edited to add: I cleaned her foot today and changed the bandage so I took the opportunity to take pics of how I wrap the foot.

First - I cut a piece of vetwrap into three or four thin strips. Then I wrap across the pad and between the toes and wrap around the ankle with one piece and then do the same with another piece but go between the other toes. This way, she can have full use of her foot for scratching and roosting but no dirt can get in or under the bandage. Again, be careful and not wrap too tightly. I don't really stretch it at all, just wrap.

Cut strips:

wrap1.jpg

From Bottom:

wrap2.jpg

From Top:

wrap3.jpg

Last edited:
This peacock had these sores on both his feet:

So I cleaned them with Chlorhexidine, applied neosporin and a no stick pad, then wrapped the pad on with lots of gauze for padding and then lightly wrapped the gauze with vet-wrap like this:

If I had to do it again I would not use the beige tape at the top of the bandage.

-Kathy

Last edited:
The Vetricyn is an antibiotic. The article I posted explains about superbugs and how the antibiotics are not helping but actually hurting, both humans and animals. If you want to take care of this chicken and really get rid of the infection quickly and non-toxically, use Sovereign Silver or another colloidal silver product (superbugs can't live if treated with silver) on her foot and use the homeopathic remedy Hepar Sulphur Calcaria. They are little pellets and the chickens will usually pick them up and eat them. Don't you touch the pellets with your fingers because the medicine is on the outside of the pellet and would be absorbed by your hand. Not that it would hurt you, but that it would make it ineffective for your chicken. You can also use the little cup the homeopathic pellets comes with to drop the pellet into a grape half that has a little slit cut into it.
Re Vetricyn. It's not an antibiotic. It's actually water and about 3% bleach, and looks to be a minute quantity of Oxine -less than 1%, and written out as 2 separate ingredients. So save the $30.00 and make your own. I bought it last week and when I read the label , I packed it back up and will send it back.

Dear Ruth,

Thanks so much for the post and the wonderful photos.

I am a certified wound nurse and what you describe we would call in humans an eschar -- the dead black tissue covering the infection -- almost like leather. Once that is softened and removed and the underlying dead tissue and infection taken care of -- they heal right up.

I have heard that the cause of the initial problem is a dirty roost. Have you found this to be true?

Quote:
I don't think it's really a dirty roost or anything in particular. They can cut their foot on anything and staff/infection get in. My birds all freerange our farm so no telling what all they get into. Personally, I think it's just a "chicken thing". I have 200+ birds and so far have only had about 6 get bumblefoot.

I just want to update from one of my posts on this thread about 2 weeks ago...One of my hens has bumblefoot, and I was squeemish about the "surgery" and having to do that myself...So, I called my vet, and he had said that if I pack the foot with neosporin, a cotton ball, and vet wrap, that ought to take care of it, bring the infection to a head, and it would drain on its own...I think that if I let it go on long enough, it MAY have done that, however, this has been goin on for over 2 weeks now, and I just wanted to get it over with, so today I broke down, suited up w ith some rubber gloves, washed her foot in some salt water...I used regular salt, as I do not have the epsom variety, and I carefully cut around the scab and the bumble with one of those razor blade knives where you can break off the blade after use, and the bumble had actually come to the surface like the vet said it would, Originally I could feel it way up between the toes, but after the 2 weeks of wrapping it it was hard just under the skin on the pad of her foot like a callous...I took some tweezers that I bought especially for the surgery, to keep for future use should I need them, dont want to use my good ones! and after carefully going around the scab and callous-like bumble, I picked at it with the tweezers, and it all came off the foot in one big clump, there was very little bleeding, like not even the equivalent of one drop...so, I think packing it all this time like the vet said did help somewhat...but if I kept doing that, I think it may have taken another 2 weeks at least for it to fall off or something...the skin was already peeling away around it before I started cutting, but I think it would have taken just too darn long...So, I am glad that I did the "surgery" it wasnt as bad as I thought it would be, and the hen did awesome through the whole procedure. She laid very still on my daughters lap while I worked on her..I rinsed her foot with some hydrogen peroxide, then I packed the hole that was left with neosporin, some cotton balls, and wrapped again with vet wrap...I just checked on her for the night, and she seems to be resting well...I think she knows I was trying to help her, and now she is on the road to recovery! yay!
wee.gif

Thank you so much for all of this info! I tell you I feel like Dr Doolittle. Our rooster who is afflicted right now was born with spraddle leg and a curled up foot. From this evedr so helpful site, we found out how to help him. Our beautiful Arucana was attacked by a hawk, and again the resources here helped us save her. Again, here I am finding the info I need!!!!m Thank you Thank you

That is a pretty well advanced case of bumblefoot and you should really contact a vet for a strong antibiotic at this point. The OTC ones aren't strong enough.
The hard 'core' you found needs to be removed. That is the infection that has solidified dead tissue. Lots more info about bumblefoot with photos and a video here on my blog:
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/07/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning.html

Quote:
Our sweet "Vanilla" developed what we came to know as Bumblefoot (thanks to this thread).
We attempted to cut off the scab, go in and find "the kernal" as prescribed.
But instead of finding puss/cheesy substance as described in the Bumblefoot thread, the mass is very thick-skinned and fibrous.
Squeezing does very little as the mass is pretty dense.
Went in with tweezers and patiently dug around for at least 15 minutes, but was rewarded with nothing but some blood.
Amazing our hen fussed very little, and ran around like nothing had happened after having been bandaged up (with neosporin).

What does this thick-skinned fibrous phenomenon mean?

One week later:

The infection seems to have spread further up into her foot and we're afraid we're going to lose her. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Last edited:
I was given a chicken just over two weeks ago with this.
One thing I'd like to point out though, they don't always have the black scab. Even to a novice like myself, it was obvious it was an abcess even though the first vet to see her disagreed.
Admittedly the first vet did tell me that she knew absolutely nothing about chickens and googled this site to confirm her opinion but I had a second opinion from the owner of the practice, who took one look and said "Yes, that's definitely Bumblefoot" and grabbed a scalpel and slashed her in two places before I had time to blink.
Having googled images of Bumblefoot, I can safely say she had a very bad case of it. There was a huge swelling of over an inch deep from below her foot, and when the vet squeezed, it was like a horror movie.
Cream cheese exploded out of the incision. Lots of it.
I've been working on her foot for two weeks now, opening it up daily, fishing out any stray bits, then using a cotton wool bud soaked in hibiscrub to get into the nooks and crannies. The first week I was giving her 2mm of Baytril but the vet swapped to half a clavaseptin pill inserted into the hole and then packing it with animalintex poultice gauze, followed by more animalintex over the whole foot and vetwrap. When we started, her foot was red hot all the way up to the hock, now it is the same temperature as the other foot. I'm still getting small chunks of pus (about 2mm size) out of the hole but it is defnitely healing, and compared to the first week after surgery when I was still fishing hard sweetcorn sized lumps out of it, she's coming a long way. The only thing I worry about is that the skin around her foot expanded so much that it may not ever go back to a normal size.
Sorry for the graphic pics to follow lol

Next day

3 days later

3 days ago

Back
Top Bottom