Bumblefoot

unbaked pegga

Songster
9 Years
Nov 22, 2014
Lebanon TN
It seems like I have posted to this forum almost to the exclusion of all others. I have a blue red lace Orpington hen. She is a big beautiful bird. About a week or so ago I noticed she was laying under the coop a lot but it took a few days for me to realize she was laying down too much. She had a great appetite. When she was going in for the night I noticed she was limping. She had a pink small grape size place in between her claws. I had read about bumblefoot

so I took her to the vet the very next day. I live on Social Security so $92 was a stretch but I love her and wanted to see she was taken care of. My daughter takes her goats to a country vet that she is pleased with so I took her there. He lanced the area and I have to give her Baytril orally for 14 days. He didn’t bandage it and I think he knows what he’s doing. I asked his associate about it , he said that was the way they treated it. Today will be day 3 of Baytril. Yesterday when my daughter was holding her I had her hold her claw so I could at least pour a little hydrogen peroxide over it. But the site must have closed up because the peroxide didn’t even foam up like it usually does. Plus she was none too happy about holding that claw open. She is more mobile but she is under the coop quite a bit too. How long do you think it will take this to resolve and she can be back to her usual self

Bumblefoot can take quite a while to heal as they have to walk on it. Leaving the opened wound without protection will lead to dirt entering the wound, which could cause it to take even longer to heal for good.

You will have to discard her eggs for quite some time when treating with Baytril.

You could post some pictures of her feet soles for us to try and assess the damage.

Back
Top Bottom