Bumblefoot

NoNeck

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2022
Hi everyone,
2 days ago I spotted that one of my barter browns toes were bent. Im sure this is new as Im almost positive I would have spotted it earlier if it was already there. Yesterday I saw a bubble on top of her foot. I am assuming she has bumblefoot. This would be my first time dealing with bumblefoot. So any assistance would be greaaaat.

I checked a few of my other hens and only a few have that black scab under their foot. Is this still bumblefoot because they dont have any lumps or bumps on their foot other than this?
I will isolate the necessary hens so they dont jump or roost etc. I will do the epsom salt baths and peel off the scab. My question is how do i treat the bumblefoot naturally after that? I do not want to use any products that make me withhold eggs.
Also do I need to "pop" the bubble on the top of one of my hens feet?
Any help would be great!!

Here is a photo of the foot with the bubble. It is in between the toes on the left. Also upon checking 90% of my other hens, I can see that they all pretty much have a small scab on the bottom of their foot. No big bubbles on top or anything. So could they be in the early stages?
I was thinking of separating the impacted hens, but now that i see 90% of my coop is impacted, do i just leave them all in there and obviously treat them ? How high should my roosting bars be? I will attach a photo of when we first built the coop. Could you let me know if i should lower any bars?

Attachments

• 20230308_080844.jpg
    20230308_080844.jpg
    898.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230308_080841.jpg
    20230308_080841.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20230308-081645_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230308-081645_Gallery.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 18
Bumblefoot is fairly common, and usually is from getting a small cut in the skin of the foot pad where bacteria, such as staphylococcus is introduced. I would look at your bedding, the floor of the coop and run, and the surrounding yard for sharp rocks. Also, make sure the roosts are smooth with no splinters or rough areas.

Early on, I did a couple of surgeries. Now, I never do surgery on any scabs where the chicken is not limping or having an abscess. I have had a couple of the swollen areas between the toes on top of the foot, but they both had a scab on the bottom of the foot as well. I lanced the top blister, and got a little liquid pus out. Many try to soak the feet in warm Epsom salts water for a few days, and then try to remove the scabs to try and squeeze out any pus or plug inside. I never had the time or patients to do soaking, so I did the surgery. After a few of them, I just noticed that some would dry up and the chicken did not seem to be in any distress.

Bumblefoot is fairly common, and usually is from getting a small cut in the skin of the foot pad where bacteria, such as staphylococcus is introduced. I would look at your bedding, the floor of the coop and run, and the surrounding yard for sharp rocks. Also, make sure the roosts are smooth with no splinters or rough areas.

Early on, I did a couple of surgeries. Now, I never do surgery on any scabs where the chicken is not limping or having an abscess. I have had a couple of the swollen areas between the toes on top of the foot, but they both had a scab on the bottom of the foot as well. I lanced the top blister, and got a little liquid pus out. Many try to soak the feet in warm Epsom salts water for a few days, and then try to remove the scabs to try and squeeze out any pus or plug inside. I never had the time or patients to do soaking, so I did the surgery. After a few of them, I just noticed that some would dry up and the chicken did not seem to be in any distress.
This chicken does have the scab under her foot. If i do the epsom soak and bandages for all my chickens that have it, do i still have to lance that bubble right away? Or do i leave it for a few days into the treatment? Will that bubble go away on its own ever, or do i need to lance it?

If i use Mupirocin, do i need to withhold eggs? Has anyone used this before for bumblefoot?

I want to add sometimes the soaking doesn’t work. I soaked for about 3 months once or twice a day then try tried to pluck and no luck.

Back
Top Bottom