Bumbletoe and How To Bandage?

BeccaDoe

Songster
Jun 19, 2019
Aylett, VA
My black laced red Wyandotte, Layla, has developed bumblefoot. But it's on her TOE.

Currently, I have soaked it, cleaned it lightly with Thycerin (sp?) , and applied Prid to it. I'd prefer to try non surgical if possible at first. Regardless, I have no idea how to properly bandage a chicken's toe! I've seen videos on wrapping the feet, but those usually keep the toes hanging out. Does anyone have instructions or advice?

For the time being, we've wrapped her foot into a semi-club.

The secret to bandaging an extremity so the bandage won't slip off is to begin the wrap on the lower shank, spiral the wrapping down toward the toe, and then return the way you came, finishing by wrapping around the shank. Don't stretch it too tightly, cutting off circulation. Press the self cling material against itself to make it secure and beak proof.

The secret to bandaging an extremity so the bandage won't slip off is to begin the wrap on the lower shank, spiral the wrapping down toward the toe, and then return the way you came, finishing by wrapping around the shank. Don't stretch it too tightly, cutting off circulation. Press the self cling material against itself to make it secure and beak proof.
Thank you for this information. How wide should the vetwrap be when bandaging a bumbletoe?

For all bandaging of chicken feet, I use one inch wide strips about sixteen to twenty inches long. The rolls come in four-inch width and what I do is put the role on a toilet paper holder, then pull out about twenty inches. Then with the holder keeping that end stable, I cut four one-inch wide strips. After that, I use an empty core to wrap the one-inch by twenty-inch strips onto it. Then they are all ready to use.

Back
Top Bottom