Butcher question

Pics

Scooter1A

Chirping
Jun 29, 2023
Hello. After processing a chicken, does it need to go thru rigor before freezing? I always let my rabbits go thru rigor before freezing. What do you do?

Yes, it needs to go through rigor. After it stiffens up wait until you can easily move a joint before you freeze it. If you can cook it fast enough you don't need to age it to get it through rigor but that needs to be really quickly. You can age it after thawing to get it through rigor (that's what I do) but either before or after freezing it needs to go through rigor or it can be inedible.

Yes, it needs to go through rigor. After it stiffens up wait until you can easily move a joint before you freeze it. If you can cook it fast enough you don't need to age it to get it through rigor but that needs to be really quickly. You can age it after thawing to get it through rigor (that's what I do) but either before or after freezing it needs to go through rigor or it can be inedible.
Ok thank you. My rabbits rigor dry in the fridge for 3 days. Should a chicken rigor dry or soaking in water? I'm thinking dry. I use my spare fridge in the garage.

No it does not you can freeze them right away then thaw when needed and eat there is no difference ive tried both methods

Ok thank you. My rabbits rigor dry in the fridge for 3 days. Should a chicken rigor dry or soaking in water? I'm thinking dry. I use my spare fridge in the garage.
Either way works for aging past rigor. This might help in making your decision.

Aging - Keeping the meat until rigor passes. If you cook the meat in the middle of rigor it can be so tough it is inedible.

Brining - Soaking the meat in salty water. You can add a salty taste to meat in any part of cooking but if the meat is brined it will hold more moisture. If you are using a moist method of cooking it doesn't matter that much but if you cook with a dry method it can really help.

Marinading - Adding an acid to break down fiber, making it more tender. Wine, vinegar, and tomato products are popular bases for marinades as they are acidic. Marinading to tenderize isn't very important to young chicken but it can be very helpful for older chickens. If you over-marinade (especially with younger chicken) it can become mushy but it can make a gourmet meal out of an older hen or rooster.

Of course you can add flavors at any stage before cooking but many do this in the marinade stage.

I age past rigor then freeze - but at times, I have had to freeze first, then age past rigor after freezing. Both methods work. BUT!!! Freezing damages cell walls. and the enzymes that break down rigor don't work while frozen. That means a long rest in the chill chest post freezing while th e bird first defrosts, then ages - with damaged cell walls.

End effect? its not as juicy as it could have been.

Solution? Move frozen bird to a seasoned brine, defrost/age in that. Will defrost faster and more evenly, since the liquid brine ensures good contact, the salt content keeps an ice "skin" from forming when liquid contacts frozen bird, seasons the meat throughout, and the brining process helps retain moisture in spite of the damaged cell walls.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try that with a high acid marinade like your typical mojo. The acid will sieze proteins and denature others, while the long defrost/rest will ensure that you end up with a dry, vinegar-y, mealy textured bird.

I age past rigor then freeze - but at times, I have had to freeze first, then age past rigor after freezing. Both methods work. BUT!!! Freezing damages cell walls. and the enzymes that break down rigor don't work while frozen. That means a long rest in the chill chest post freezing while th e bird first defrosts, then ages - with damaged cell walls.

Solution? Move frozen bird to a seasoned brine, defrost/age in that. Will defrost faster and more evenly, since the liquid brine ensures good contact, the salt content keeps an ice "skin" from forming when liquid contacts frozen bird, seasons the meat throughout, and the brining process helps retain moisture in spite of the damaged cell walls.

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT try that with a high acid marinade like your typical mojo. The acid will sieze proteins and denature others, while the long defrost/rest will ensure that you end up with a dry, vinegar-y, mealy textured bird.
so rigor, freeze, salt water defrost. sounds right to me

What low acid marinades would you suggest?

Back
Top Bottom