Butchering 17 week old Buff Orps and New Hampshire Reds?

aealbin

Chirping
Aug 27, 2016
West central Minnesota
Hey all,
This is my first go round with raising chickens. These chicks hatched 17 weeks ago and I got 6 each, straight run Buff Orps, New Hampshire reds, and Silver-laced Wyandottes. I ended up with 4 BO & NHR roos, and 3 SLW roos. I let them free range but there are just too many and they are starting to get really aggressive. I think 3-4 are crowing, and a BO & NHR seem to be the ones in charge, and the BO is just plain and simple a dick. We want to butcher the roosters and maybe keep one (although the NHR that we picked to keep has started attacking my 3 & 5 year old daughters).

I just don't think we will be able to keep what peace there is much longer. I started supplementing with meat bird feed about 3-4 weeks ago when I noticed the top two boys having their way with the welsummer pullets. I put out about 4-5 cups worth in their run each morning and their feeder in the coop has chick starter. We don't have the space to separate. Can I start thinning them out now? Take the biggest jerk (also the biggest) this week and see what happens to the dynamics, or is it better to struggle through and try to make it to 20 weeks? The SLW roosters are tiny and not ready and are at the bottom of the hierarchy. The welsummer and easter egger pullets rarely come out of the coop because the roosters seem to prefer them. We can get close to them but not touch so it will be interesting trying to catch them, plus they're scared of me since I chase after them when they go after my daughters. Advice welcome.

DO the jerks NOW. :drool

Attitude is what ALWAYS determines who goes first here. :smack

Meat bird feed just has higher protein than layer and less calcium. Really what matter on most labels is protein and calcium%, whether they are labeled meat bird, chicks starter, all flock, flock raiser, grower, layer, finisher....

I use from start to finish Purina flock raiser which is 20% protein and 1% ish calcium. I provide oyster shell on the side for layers. This works well for all stages of life and for all breeds of chicken.

Rarely ever do I find any of my birds "ready" on an exact time frame. They grow differently and they act differently. Meat is a bonus but the peace that comes (at least temporarily) after dispatching flock bullies so.... relieving. Get your practice in... you'll be glad you did so you won't hesitate when the next time comes.

Sorry, the boy you picked is attacking. He has to go. Those boys are not roosters, they are cockerels. And like so many teens with raging hormones... they can't think straight. :barnie

Did you hand raise the NHR and it was sooo friendly before?

I made a cone out of a bleach jug. Throats don't cut like they do in movies. Skin is tough, go deep and long... rest your meat before freezing... I'm sure I missed plenty.

Like so many things... make it work for YOU. :fl

Oh ya... our first time we went with skinning for fear of wrong water temp for plucking and not wanting to be grossed out by the horrid smell I read about.

We now pluck and there are sometimes more pin feathers that stay behind at certain age... seems to vary some by bird and breed. No difference when skinning, but for plucking, age may have some impact. :pop

Get yourself as big of a dog crate as you can afford, I put my 4 Roos in one and fattened them up ,

It is a valuable resource to have with chickens ,

Be careful with your kids , I’m black and blue all over from my rooster .... rip Gandolf

Thank you so much for the words of encouragement and affirmation that they need to go soon.

The NHR - we call him “big red” was just super friendly and would come up to us more than the rest. These birds are tolerant of us and none like to be touched.

I think the dick BO will go in the next few nights once we figure out what we need and I’ll get a dog crate to fatten up the rest.

Thank you all again

Get yourself as big of a dog crate as you can afford, I put my 4 Roos in one and fattened them up ,

It is a valuable resource to have with chickens ,

Be careful with your kids , I’m black and blue all over from my rooster .... rip Gandolf

I boot them as hard as I can when they come after my girls. We’re trying to convince my gentle eldest that she needs to do the same to establish her dominance but she gets scared and freezes up.

The biggest offenders have been taken care of!
2018-08-14 21.21.07.jpg

Back
Top Bottom