Butchering for the first time today

your shoulda seen our roosters when we were sharpenin' the hatchet for 'rooster day'... they werent so darn sassy then!

great work, seriously
:)

yuckyuck.gif
I have only done it once and it grossed me out.It was just the killing part though not the plucking and all that. I take them to someone now who just charges me $1.60 a bird.
thumbsup.gif

youtube has some good instructional videos that helped me. Basically, it is just like a duck. Any questions that we can answer?

Justin Rhodes has some videos. Depends on what style you enjoy watching. Cheers!

I don't know. Everything, this batch of hens I have now are the worst layers, I got them in 2015 about this time. I got an ok number of eggs for the first year but this last year I have had to buy eggs at first off and on and for the last 6 months regularly. Mind you its been 120 and I would not want to lay eggs in that heat either. But its cooled off and still nothing. I have one chicken out of 5 laying. I'm thinking its time for me to get rid of the older hens since I have 5 new babys with their mom.

Sounds like you are right on schedule. Hatchery chicks will produce great for one year and good for the second. After that it is hit or miss. 2015 to 2017 sounds like you are there. This is just from what I read. I'm still on my first flock and they have just started laying. 14 eggs from 18 birds. They are 8 months old now and getting bigger eggs.

I'm negotiating on when to start the replacement flock. Technically, I can wait until next winter when they are nearing 2 years. Since I have production egg layers (Leghorns and RIR), they are geared towards massive eggs the first year and then dropping quickly.

What breeds do you have?

best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom