Butchering process help?

We are so excited!
I just hope we cook them at the right time and not too early before the meat rests

I don’t like to let the water level build up around the chickens. I have a cooler with a drain on the side so I crack that open to let the water drip out.
I also shrink wrap the birds right away so if the bag has a pin hole in it and the water gets in all it does is make a mess.

We just did our first batch also my first time. Processed 43 birds and I got two 35 gallon garbage cans and filled with water and ice. Once chilled I dried off and put them in a fridge for 48 hours but I hear 24 hours is fine too.

So just to make sure I understand fully, newbie here. Butcher, then chill/rest in ice/water mixture until rigor passes (1-3 days?), then bag and store? Or are you bagging prior to putting in ice? Sorry for the stupid question. Feels like it should be bagging last, but I see some using the shrink bags right after butchering. I have a commercial grade vacuum sealer. Just want to get it right, be sanitary and safe, and have some great tasting/textured birds! Thanks!

So just to make sure I understand fully, newbie here. Butcher, then chill/rest in ice/water mixture until rigor passes (1-3 days?), then bag and store? Or are you bagging prior to putting in ice? Sorry for the stupid question. Feels like it should be bagging last, but I see some using the shrink bags right after butchering. I have a commercial grade vacuum sealer. Just want to get it right, be sanitary and safe, and have some great tasting/textured birds! Thanks!
Usually I chill in water for a few hours. Helps get the blood out. But sometimes I just put them in the fridge...
Usually I replace water and ice after a few hours. Sometimes I put birds in bags, sometimes I am in a hurry or bad back, and don't change the water or bag until I freeze.
You can do it either way. Resting until joints are loose, somewhere cool, is important or you will think your eating rubber bands

We are so excited!
I just hope we cook them at the right time and not too early before the meat rests

Have you tried any yet?

We butchered 28 red rangers last November -- our first harvest -- and I absolutely loved them. Great for soup.

Back
Top Bottom