buttercup my buff.orp is a broody machine

old geezer

Songster
9 Years
Sep 2, 2010
cambridge , ny
th.gif
....seems like evry six weeks right after she hatches some ferile eggs that i aquire from a friend ,and after she raises the chicks.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
D.gif
..she wants to play moma again----
love.gif
---she already has hatched 3 broods just this past summer , and is now broody agaain...
love.gif
.....but because an early fall is starting her in way upper NY ,i don't want to go into real cold weather with little peeps---
barnie.gif
---yesterday i took her out the nest box--closed up the coop and made her stay out all day---today she growling politely and ruffed ,again----
he.gif
----i put her out side the coop and closed it up---any other sugestons would be helpful at this time---i really don't want to do the water emersion as it's too cool here and don't want to get her sick--any other quick fixes ?????
fl.gif

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it. Mama will keep the peeps warm no matter how cold it gets. If you can absorb more chicks into your flock, I'd say let her go for it!

Quote:
she is such a sweetheart--love's to cuddle---and she has never pecked at me , even when being broody and being taken off her nest---alas --i can't do any more chicks----buttercup has added 17 chicks her 3 broods , and suzy my speckled sussex 3 more

I raised a flock of Buff Orp... They made wonderful hens but I did get broody alot and I needed egg layers. They were a problem for me because I alway kept one or two in the "break up" coop try to get them back laying again.

I agree they were some of the friendliest chicken i have raised

I have one like that. And two more that I haven't allowed to hatch anything yet. One can be broken just by taking up the nest box for a couple days (the others will lay in another that they don't like as much). But the other two have to go in a cage with a wire bottom up off the ground. It's a permanent thing I built in the coop as a "brooder" and perfect for both jobs. Takes about three days or so in the cage but it's worked every time.

My Super Mom ran off her babies a couple weeks ago and now I have some eggs in the incubator. I'm hoping someone goes broody before they hatch! Last time this happened, one went broody with only 8 days left to hatch date and it worked perfectly.
fl.gif
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom