Buttercup x Fayoumi = Sexlink?

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri
Are Buttercups genetically considered "golds" when dealing with sexlink chicks? Are Fayoumis considered "Silvers"? Or would Fayoumis consider Barred?

If the Fayoumis are silver gened they should work. Then I really don't anything about the Fayoumis other than my son wants some.

This is mostly to give you a bump up so that maybe a genetics geru will come along and answer your question.

idunno.gif

Yes, It would technically be a Sexlink cross, The Buttercups are Red Quill colored and Fayoymis are Silver Quill, so you should get Red Quill colored pullets and yellowish silver roos ( split for both silver and gold) BUT Since even pure Fayoymis chicks are chocolate brown colored as chicks, I think it would probably be hard to sex them becuase of their patterns until they started feathering out.

Thanks for the bump, Draye, and huge thanks for the answer, Rare. The Quill pattern not being officially "barred" throws me off.

Quote:
Nope, its not barred, if anything it maybe be Transverse Barring/Penciling like in Campines. But its not Sexlinked Barring.

I dont want to get in trouble here but with a breed ( buttercups)that is rare why would any one want to be making this kind of cross.I realise that every one has his own aginda and is trying to come up with something unicke. If we as breeders continue on this course,There will soon be none of the old breeds left that are pure.
Bill

Last edited:
Simple. Because it won't be hurting the Buttercups at all.

You put a Buttercup _rooster_ over Fayoumi hens. In theory, it would produce a small, efficient, rapidly-developing, white egg layer that churns out the eggs like there's no tomorrow (who may be sexlinked). So, to offer more genetic diversity in a flock when selling hatching eggs, 2-3 Buttercup roosters could be kept in a flock of, say, 8-12 Buttercup hens and 5-8~ Fayoumi hens. The Fayoumi's lay a tinted egg that can be told apart from the Buttercup's creamy white eggs.

When you are dealing with a single Buttercup rooster covering Fayoumi hens, how does that harm the purity of Buttercups?

And before anyone laments about the plight of Fayoumis, there would be a small flock of pure birds, too.

I don't undstand why you feel as if making a one-generation sexlink using Buttercups is going to harm the genetic purity of Buttercups (I would also love to know what you consider genetically pure
smile.png
. The sexlinks won't look like Buttercups and can't exactly be crossed back into Buttercups any more than a Gold Star hen can be passed off as a Buff Orpington. Nor can you take a crossed bird and use it to make a sexlink; so even if one did look like a Buttercup it couldn't exactly be used for a next generation.

As a result, in order to keep producing sexlink eggs you have to maintain a pure flock of both breeds used to make that sexlink. So this is an easy way to have multiple Buttercup roosters while putting those roosters to work while also playing around with Fayoumis to see if that is a breed that is enjoyed enough to expand and seriously work on spreading their gospel.

Off and on I end up wanting Fayoumis, but off and on I end up wanting to own every breed at least once to see if I like it. Since my breeding program is extra-extra full I'm gifting the Fayoumis to someone I know who is getting Buttercups. That way I can always go swoon at her Fayoumis and enjoy her swooning over her new chicken habit.

She plans on offering hatching eggs for at least Buttercups, and possibly Fayoumis (plus the hybrid flock) next year. This year I'm helping her get set up to do more than a mixed flock of laying hens. It has definitely been fun.

Back
Top Bottom