Buttery Corn Flour Fried Chicken

CNJ

Free Ranging
Oct 12, 2020
Oahu
I have been experimenting with fried chickens for many years. I have discovered the missing ingredient and step I have been searching for. I'll start with a basic seasoning brine, you can add or subtract to it to make it your own. 1/3 cup salt to 2 Litter water which is about 1 cup more than 2 quarts. 1 TBS dry garlic powder; mix and marinate chickens over night and drain before frying. I like the taste of McCormick Lemon Pepper seasoning, I sprinkled it on after I fried the chicken to see how it taste. Next time I will try adding it on the chicken after I drain the brine. This next step is very simple. Mix together 1 cup flour, 1cup corn flour ( I use corn meal and grind it with my bullet), add two and a half cup ice cold water, and 1 to 2 egg is optional (This is just a guide you may need more or less batter). The egg slightly changes the texture and is more noticeable after reheating the left over chicken in the micro wave. I tumble the seasoned chicken in flour first than dunk it in the batter and then back into the flour and then into the fryer. The fryer is important, I use the DeLonghi deep fryer ( I got from Amazon), it holds the temperature steady at 340 degrees for 12 minutes with a built in timer and allows settlements to gather on bottom without burning. I drain the fried chicken for 1 min over fryer before moving to a drain rack. I ordered filter paper and a filter paper holder with my fryer. I store the filtered oil on my stove at room temperature in a pot with glass cover. I reuse the oil until it become smoky. It last a long time as bacteria is burned off in the hot oil before storing, and oil has no moisture.
Oh by the way, the corn flour was the missing ingredient. Sometimes I add cayenne pepper and paprika and other stuff before frying. Anything goes......one more thing, do not use milk or butter milk to make batter, it makes the fried chicken look burnt.
The crust can stand alone with out adding any season to the batter. The corn flour gives it a buttery taste which can not be achieved with flour alone.

Attachments

• DSCN0010.JPG
    DSCN0010.JPG
    852.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I like it better without the egg, and the lemon pepper seasoning tasted better when I used it after frying instead of before. Also, I had to leave my drums sticks in longer for 13 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom