Button Quail Chick Pacing Questions

ZeeZee102

Hatching
Apr 13, 2023
I joined this community to hopefully get some answers or advice for my problem. I have 6 button chicks that have hatched in the last 2 days, all are healthy and behave normally, all except 1.

One chick specifically is pacing back and forth along the sides of the brooder and often cries loudly as he does it. He's the only one that's doing it and none of the other chicks are interested in him. I worry about it because he's been pacing like this for about a day and only really stops when he wears himself out. Sometimes he acts normal and runs around like the others, but only for a short period of time. He has no interest in food or water when he paces and nothing seems to soothe him. We've picked him up, held him in a small blanket, tucked him into a blanket in hid brooder (which he enjoys when hes tired enough to sleep), let him run around outside the brooder (in case he wants out), everything we can think of. When he's not pacing he's crying, constantly.

This is my second batch of babies I've raised and I've never had this problem with chicks. However, I do have this problem with one of my adult quail. One of my male adults is a very nervous bird and paces constantly, sometimes crying but not very often. I've kept him with my other birds and hatched some of their eggs to test out my incubator, so it's possible the nervous adult is the father of this baby. If so, could that be an explanation? What should I do? What can I do? I don't want the chick to constantly be stressed and crying but nothing seems to help. I'll keep trying to find a way to soothe him but I'm running out of ideas. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

I joined this community to hopefully get some answers or advice for my problem. I have 6 button chicks that have hatched in the last 2 days, all are healthy and behave normally, all except 1.

One chick specifically is pacing back and forth along the sides of the brooder and often cries loudly as he does it. He's the only one that's doing it and none of the other chicks are interested in him. I worry about it because he's been pacing like this for about a day and only really stops when he wears himself out. Sometimes he acts normal and runs around like the others, but only for a short period of time. He has no interest in food or water when he paces and nothing seems to soothe him. We've picked him up, held him in a small blanket, tucked him into a blanket in hid brooder (which he enjoys when hes tired enough to sleep), let him run around outside the brooder (in case he wants out), everything we can think of. When he's not pacing he's crying, constantly.

This is my second batch of babies I've raised and I've never had this problem with chicks. However, I do have this problem with one of my adult quail. One of my male adults is a very nervous bird and paces constantly, sometimes crying but not very often. I've kept him with my other birds and hatched some of their eggs to test out my incubator, so it's possible the nervous adult is the father of this baby. If so, could that be an explanation? What should I do? What can I do? I don't want the chick to constantly be stressed and crying but nothing seems to help. I'll keep trying to find a way to soothe him but I'm running out of ideas. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
This may be a rare sign of speration anxiety in birds. He may have imprinted on you and when he's not with you he gets nervous and scared hence the pacing. But I saw where you said nothing helps him. Maybe he is just so panicked and stressed that its hard for him to calm down? What I would do is spend time with him but slowly let him be more independent in activities this could solve the issue. I'll tag someone who may know ehats going on.
@Nabiki

Are the sides of the brooder clear? If so, you might try covering the side.

It sounds to me like this one is just a nervous little one. It's not as common with buttons, but with coturnix, there's always a screamer in the bunch that just never shuts up.

This may be a rare sign of speration anxiety in birds. He may have imprinted on you and when he's not with you he gets nervous and scared hence the pacing. But I saw where you said nothing helps him. Maybe he is just so panicked and stressed that its hard for him to calm down? What I would do is spend time with him but slowly let him be more independent in activities this could solve the issue. I'll tag someone who may know ehats going on.
@Nabiki
Hmm, I appreciate the advice but I'm not sure that's it. He's not comforted by bring picked up, held, or being around us. He still cries and tries to get away.

There has been a new development though. The chick is now constantly scratching at 1 spot right above his wings on both sides. He scratches and cries and gets to a point where he flails around, half rolling chirping is a distressed tone constantly. Then he kind of goes still and his head slowly drops while he chirps. It almost looks as though he's having a seizure but he's not. We've thoroughly checked all over his head and neck to try and see what the issue is but we can't see anything (and I'm not entirely sure what to look for) that could be causing the problem. I don't know what to do for him at this point!

Are the sides of the brooder clear? If so, you might try covering the side.

It sounds to me like this one is just a nervous little one. It's not as common with buttons, but with coturnix, there's always a screamer in the bunch that just never shuts up.
Yes, the sides of the brooder are all clear plastic. We'll try covering the sides after we can get his new issue sorted out.

The chick is now constantly scratching at 1 spot right above his wings on both sides. He scratches and cries and gets to a point where he flails around, half rolling chirping is a distressed tone constantly. Then he kind of goes still and his head slowly drops while he chirps. It almost looks as though he's having a seizure but he's not. We've thoroughly checked all over his head and neck to try and see what the issue is but we can't see anything (and I'm not entirely sure what to look for) that could be causing the problem. I don't know what to do for him at this point!

Yes, the sides of the brooder are all clear plastic. We'll try covering the sides after we can get his new issue sorted out.

The chick is now constantly scratching at 1 spot right above his wings on both sides. He scratches and cries and gets to a point where he flails around, half rolling chirping is a distressed tone constantly. Then he kind of goes still and his head slowly drops while he chirps. It almost looks as though he's having a seizure but he's not. We've thoroughly checked all over his head and neck to try and see what the issue is but we can't see anything (and I'm not entirely sure what to look for) that could be causing the problem. I don't know what to do for him at this point!
Check to see if it has a hair or something wrapped around it.

Back
Top Bottom