Button Quail Chick With Different Call?

MageofMist

Crowing
5 Years
Dec 9, 2016
Britain
I have two button quails from the same parents of my last batch of 3 blue-faced ones, with more to hatch. Though I noticed something odd, while the yellow and black one (probably red-breasted) does the "whee" calls like my last batch did, the yellow fluffy one instead makes a high pitched peeping sound.

0.jpg

I know for sure that they are button quail, as unless my dove somehow managed to cross the specie barrier, it is 100% button quail. Just wondering if this is normal or if it is something to do with genders, as all 3 of my buttons in my last batch were male.

Got another two, another yellow and another bee, and it seems both yellows have the "peep" while the bees have the "whee" calls.

I've never noticed any strange calls in my button babies, so I don't know. But I'd be interested to know if you figure out a reason. I only hear the 'whee' calls in the video though - could you point me to a place in the video where the yellow one makes its sound?

I've never noticed any strange calls in my button babies, so I don't know. But I'd be interested to know if you figure out a reason. I only hear the 'whee' calls in the video though - could you point me to a place in the video where the yellow one makes its sound?
At the beginning you can hear the yellow one making the high pitched peeps, you may need to turn the volume up to hear it. At 0:05 I pick the "whee" calling one up so it quietens down a little and you can hear the peeping. I will try and get a better vid of the peeping one.

0.jpg

The yellow chick making the "Peep" call. It poops on the pillow though. XD

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I hear it now. Hmm.. I could have missed it if any of my chicks made that sound. Pretty sure it's not a dove though ^^

Other than the odd call, the chick is completely normal, eating and drinking fine and very energetic and fluffy.

Just a cutie with a speech impediment.
smile.png
Yep XP

The chick still has an odd voice compared to the others, and about killed me when it tried crowing... "SQUEAK SQUEAK SQUEAK!" It was adorable.
lol.png
Also I think it may be a silver judging by the feathers!
Also I found out why the sounds sounded so familiar, the chick sounds like a killdeer chick, with the little "pweep" sounds it makes every now and then when chirping to it's siblings.

The other yellow grew out of it though and has a normal quaily voice, but the other is still as squeaky as ever.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom