Button Quail chicks keep dying?!?

Nov 15, 2017
Virginia
Hello everyone,

I have a female basic color (brown) Cortunix and a silver male. They are about three months old, I just got them about a month and a half ago from a client who has a quail farm. I build them a cage about 2’ tall x 2’ wide x 4’ long. I have straw in the cage for them, along with water and play sand for baths. I feed them a crushed up mixture of Dumor poultry cracked corn with purple corn and 16% layer feed crumbles. I put glass inside the cage about halfway up the walls to prevent them from throwing out the straw and making a mess. The adults are doing wonderful.

The female laid 6 eggs and sat on them. After 17 days all 6 eggs hatched with nary an issue. 5 brown ones and one yellow one. The yellow one was the runt, the first egg which was very small. On day 5 after the eggs hatched, I found a chick that had passed. On day 6, another. On day 7, I found the yellow one which has passed some time before. I don’t know when. I think he was the first to go. Now this morning, day 13, I found yet another. He was in the far corner of the cage, laying in his side with his legs extended. He hadn’t been gone long.

Four have died out of 6. I’m watching them and one of the two that is left is acting funny. He sits and blinks slowly a lot, and cranes his neck almost to “cough”. I noticed the most recent chick to die did the same thing yesterday.

What am I doing wrong? My hen hatched them, no incubator was used. The male has been in the cage with them the whole time. They all had been eating and drinking fine. They are growing in their feathers. I have a heater and a heat lamp in the cage, I can’t get it any higher than 86 degrees. Is it too cold for them? What can I do different? I’m so ashamed to have these poor animals die.

Don't feel ashamed, chicks do die, and sometimes we can never work it out. Out of my 26, 4 have turned up dead, exactly the same way as you describe.
I'm watching the rest, seeing what they are up to, trying to see if there is a common denominator.. so far I have seen nothing.

Don't feel ashamed, chicks do die, and sometimes we can never work it out. Out of my 26, 4 have turned up dead, exactly the same way as you describe.

Hi Ulaidian,

I am so sorry to hear about your chicks. I have never done this before and I’m just so frustrated. I feel it must be something I am doing wrong. The client I got them from said it isn’t normal to lose so many after this length of time and It also wasn’t normal for all of them to hatch. ?? Maybe I shouldn’t have let the first clutch hatch? I’m afraid to lose the last two babies or even to let my female hatch anymore chicks! Ugh.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!

I am sorry you are losing babies. :hugs Quail babies are very susceptible to drafts and dying. More so than chicken chicks, quail babies die in drafts coming in the sides of the enclosure. I take it the hen is not brooding them hence the heat lamp?

You need to get more heat on these babies and remove the adults if the hen is not brooding them.. Buttons especially, are tropical birds and as adults can barely tolerate temps in the 50s Fahrenheit range. Start Button babies at 90-95 degrees Fahrenheit. Put the thermometer on the floor directly beneath the lamp. You need to enclose the sides of their cage or brooder. The heat from the lamp will suck in cooler air through the sides of the cage creating a draft, killing the babies. Make SURE they are all eating. I always dip their beaks in the water source day of hatch. Buttons are tiny, so very tiny tiny crushed food, nearly powder for a couple of weeks. Sprinkler it on paper towels around the feeder and tap with your finger. And do not cover the top of the brooder with anything but screen or wire to allow for good heat and oxygen exchange.

They are either dying from being too cold or they are not taking in sustenance, most likely both.

Good luck, I hope you can save the rest! :hugs

Thank you so much @TwoCrows ! The thermometer is just hanging in the top of the cage just about their height. Not under the heat lamp or near the heater. I have the heat lamp and heater in use because while the hen sits on them, they spend most of their day running around. I notice once the heat lamp or heater goes off, and the temp drops to 80 ish, she sits on the babies. The back of the cage is against the wall and window, which is covered by a sheer curtain to let some sunlight in. The front and sides of the cage are covered by a doubled up fitted sheet. The top is left free. I have included a photo for reference in hopes that this could help you determine anything else different I need to do. Thank you so much

Attachments

• CB69189A-CB5B-4D2D-BB81-07DC9C923032.jpeg
    CB69189A-CB5B-4D2D-BB81-07DC9C923032.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 83

Back
Top Bottom